Skywatcher 72ED. What extras will I need to attach DSLR

Arlen

Hi,  I’m thinking about getting the skywatcher 72ED for my first scope.  I’ll only be using it for astrophotography.  I plan to photograph nebulae planets and galaxies.
Can someone please give me some advice on what extras I’ll need to buy so I can take pictures.  My camera is Nikon D3500.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Arlen

The 72ed comes as a sort of bare bones scope. By that I mean it does not come with any accessories to allow you to use it visually or for astrophotography. The idea being that you buy the extra bits you need specific to what you are doing with it. 

So to start with you have to deal with the focusing issue of your camera and the scope. For my Canon 200d this meant I did not have enough travel on the focuser (outwood travel) to able to get focus. This is overcome by using a field flattening/reducer. In my case I bought the OVL field flattener which is recommended any way to improve the image but also to give me that extra space between scope and camera to get the camera to focus.

Agree with Chefgage - flattener/reducer is a must.
You will also need the T-ring adapter to attach the camera onto the back on the reduder (I have the altair and this is possible - don't know about the OVL).

With this you will need to handle the back focus of the reducer to the camera - so from the lens of the reducer to the focal plane of the camera (should be in the spec. of the reducer).
For my reducer this is 55mm. I have a Canon 600D - from lens flange to focal plane this is 45mm, so I make up the 10mm difference (luckily) with the T-ring that screws into the reducer.

Easy really - just seems complex!! ;)

All the best
Matthew