Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on experimental dome drive system.

Nigella Bryant

Hi all, I've stripped down an old mobility scooter for the motor and bought a variable speed and reverse controller. The motor is 24v so was going to get a 24v DC to AC adapter. Now it's going to be simple just to move the rotation of the dome around and whilst observing/imaging. No fancy computer link up. I'm not completely sure but are the connection points to the side of the motor negative and positive. How do I tell what is which? Thanks for reading.

IMG_20200814_102611.jpg

IMG_20200814_102603.jpg

IMG_20200814_102549.jpg

IMG_20200814_102538.jpg

IMG_20200814_102518.jpg

15 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Is this for rotating the dome..?

If so why not just a solid rubber wheel, and if it’s running against the fibre glass of the dome it will turn it via friction...😀

Yes it's for dome rotation. I wonder if a rubber wheel would work. 

My Pulsar system uses friction drive, actually three motors with the lip of the dome sandwiched between them (two behind, one in front) but on a previous system that also worked well, I had a single motor and rubber wheel with an idler behind to clamp it.

If the design of your dome allows it, friction drive is probably the easiest to implement.

• Like 2

Hi Nigella, Sorry for not contacting you regards automating your dome as I wanted to make sure my shutter design is working consistently. I've had some teething problems that have now been resolved.

If you want to move your dome using a drivebelt you will need at least T10 20mm wide drivebelt and the motor will need to be sprung loaded onto the dome flange to iron out any discrepancies in the dome circumference. I know presently you are not going down the computer controlled route but have a look at this DIY dome automation set-up

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

... but have a look at this DIY dome automation set-up

Steve

Hi Nigella,

I use that LesveDomeNet system that Steve suggested for my dome, and it works like a charm! Used almost the same motor, but using a chain and sprocket to drive the 450kg dome. On my website you will find how I installed it, including diagrams for providing enough power in a safe way (although I think your dome will need less power, being lighter than mine).

Nicolàs

• Thanks 1