NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

10” dob eyepieces

Ken82

For visual the coma corrector isn’t needed, or at least I’ve nerer needed one. Some people seem to find one useful but many don’t.

And what sort of budget?

I find for higher power observing a 5mm, 7mm work well on the moon and planets and the most used overall is my 16mm eyepiece. For lower power something in the 30mm range works well. For nights of good seeing my Nagler 3-6 zoom is handy. Of course all depends on what you will be observing.

Edited by johninderby

What kind of objects would you like to observe? Planets, deep-sky, double stars, ...?

The scopes comes with a 25 mm eyepiece IIRC so something in the 8-10 mm range would probably be a good addition. You can also just start using the 25 mm and find out what you miss or need.

The best you can afford

All depends on your budget

But if you buy correctly the first time, then the eyepieces can be used in future scopes you may acquire, and be keepers for life. 

Personally i love the Pentax XW range , 3.5XW to 10XW , use these in a number of high quality scopes, and they are very high performance eyepieces.Real keepers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ken82 said:

What eyepieces should I get for my 10” bresser dobsonian ?

ill also be using a Paracorr coma corrector 

10" f/5?

24mm, 12mm, 8mm, 6mm, 4.5-4.7mm for a basic set, or 26/13/9/7/5 or a 

more complete set of 30, 21, 15, 11, 8, 6, 4mm or a more basic set of 24, 12, 8mm

I'd make the 24mm an 82° for a nice wide field at low power.

The others can be what you prefer, like a set of Baader Morpheus (12.5, 9, 6.5, 4.5mm) or TeleVue Delos (12, 8, 6, 4.5mm) or Vixen SLV (12, 9, 6, 4 or 5mm), or just anything you prefer.

• Like 2

Thanks all 👍

are the 100 degree eyepieces pushing  it too much ? Or can I still expect a reasonably flat field ? 

ive used a refractor with additional flattener up until now so not sure what to expect. 

31 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Thanks all 👍

are the 100 degree eyepieces pushing  it too much ? Or can I still expect a reasonably flat field ? 

ive used a refractor with additional flattener up until now so not sure what to expect. 

A 10" dob with a Paracorr will have approximately the field curvature of a 1.5 meter focal length.

Inherently, that will be about the same as a fairly flat field refractor (i.e. a flattened refractor), so the FC visible in the 10" dob will

not be a component of what you see.  If you see FC in an eyepiece, it is likely inherent in the eyepiece.

100° eyepieces will work just fine, and the coma corrector will remove any coma.  The primary aberrations still left would be

--astigmatism at the edge.  This depends a lot on WHICH 100° eyepiece is used.  Not all 100° eyepieces are equal.

--chromatic aberration.  It's not uncommon for ultra wide eyepieces to smear the stars slightly in a prismatic fashion near the edge of the field.

--field curvature.  Again, not all 100° eyepieces are equal in this regard.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Again, not all 100° eyepieces are equal in this regard.

I have found this, in fact, I have just sold my only two 100° eyepieces (Omegons) in favour of my trusted 82° eyepieces.

3 hours ago, rwilkey said:

I have found this, in fact, I have just sold my only two 100° eyepieces (Omegons) in favour of my trusted 82° eyepieces.

Did you find that them to actually be 100° eyepieces?  I have the Meade MWA equivalent in a 26mm, and I measured it to be around 78° to 83°, depending on how much SAEP you can tolerate.  As such, it's basically in the same class as 82° eyepieces.