NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New EQ5 pro frustration setup

32 minutes ago, si717 said:

ive just had another go same problem its pointing toward oposite side ,yet when i check location on handset and star location they align ,its as if the motors are running the opposite way around running in the wrong direction anyway but still giving the correct coordinates ive also tried another battery pack no luck there something in the build just doesnt tally up its not that im inputting wrong ive checked that a 100 times 😒

Could you take pictures like synchronicity has done and share here. That would help us.

EDIT: Last but not the least, did you try a Factory Reset?

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

Thanks all i think i have done it or should i say you have all helped do it ,i was trying to connect synscaninit1 that wouldnt work

and then tried synscaninit2 like above pictures and inputted the details and it seems now to be slewing to the appropriate areas

alot of frustration and a night of clear skys missed but i think its now in working order

or i am hoping im more confident its heading in the right direction so many thanks to all hopefully now to test on clear skys many thanks again

been a great help 👍

• Like 5

I sympathise with your problems to a degree - I have an EQ5 Pro Synscan (an upgrade from a manual mount) and have never got it to work to my satisfaction.

I did not have much trouble with inputting the correct data, as it does prompt you. I only had trouble occasionally mis-reading the display font characters.

For the UK, time zone is zero and (in August) daylight saving time is 'yes')

The instructions do not highlight the start position, which is an essential piece of information. The 'scope should be ON TOP OF the mount, pointing to the pole. (yes, in this position the dec. shaft does block the polar scope light path).  I always attach the scopes to this mount with the scope facing West and the clamp knob(s) facing upward.

Trying to access a Moon below the horizon suggests the wrong data has been input. However note that while a Celestron Nexstar will not display below-horizon planets at all, IIRC the Synscan does, only to display a warning message when you try to Go To them.

To be frank, I have found the Celestron Nexstar alt-az GoTo mounts far easier to use than the EQ5 Synscan.

I hope this is of some help.

• Like 1

I had to have mine re engineered because of the latitude bolts from a good friend on here did a marvellous job polar aligning now is like butter. 

Still had trouble so sent it to Rother Valley optics who serviced it now runs like a dream. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, si717 said:

Thanks all i think i have done it or should i say you have all helped do it ,i was trying to connect synscaninit1 that wouldnt work

and then tried synscaninit2 like above pictures and inputted the details and it seems now to be slewing to the appropriate areas

alot of frustration and a night of clear skys missed but i think its now in working order

or i am hoping im more confident its heading in the right direction so many thanks to all hopefully now to test on clear skys many thanks again

been a great help 👍

If you haven't already I would be worth marking up the park position and polar alignment position using a ruler and fine sharpie (you can rub it off later if you get it wrong or don't like the look :)

Also worth checking your Alt/Az 90 degrees corresponds to being actually at 90 degrees and using the clutch to ensure it does plus resetting the park to that known position.  There's a guide to doing so here: https://worcspaul.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/accurately-setting-the-“home”-or-“park”-position-on-a-skywatcher-eq5-pro-mount/

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your troubles, very frustrating for you. I was thinking power supply because these mounts go a little crazy if they don't have the right Volts and a decent amount of Amps, but if the hand controller is telling you the Moon is up when it's not, despite entering the time location data every which way possible, along with updating the firmware. I can only think the handset is a bit iffy. 

• Like 1

yes thanks allfor your replys and help i sorted it with the synscaninit 2 ,i was or i believe its because i had my Elevation was way off 😂

if not for synscaninit 2 id of been lost so great help i had a rough go aligning to stars and its now slewing in the right area

turned it of for a few hours and had another try and all seems good ,so yes hopefully i can move onto the next step and enjoy it some

but yes thanks for the help it was rather a confusing one 👍 but simple cheers

• Like 2