Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My father left me his equipment and i need some advice

Hi, some time ago my father passed away and left us with the equipment he had bought before he became sick. He always used simple amateur stuff in the past and the new equipment he bought was really expensive as he wanted to upgrade to a more 'professional' set up, he never really got around to using it properly and it has been collecting dust in my garage. It is quite complicated and recently i have been trying to look stuff up and make things work but it's not working out, perhaps there are some extra things i would need to purchase to adapt it to my personal wishes. It's mostly stuff for dso astrophotography as far as i know, but i want to start simple and involve my kids by visually looking at the moon or planets (no cameras). Unfortunately i could only find one eyepiece which says it's 25mm focal length, i aimed at the moon with the telescope with this specific eyepiece but all i saw was a white fuzzy blob. I tried to play back and forth with the focuser but nothing seemed to be happening, i think i read that this eyepiece might not be suitable for looking at the moon? I also tried to pull the eyepiece out farther to see if it would change anything but the visual image stayed the same. 

I did look op the info of the telescope:
Aperature: 132 mm
Focal Ratio: F/7
Focal length: 925 mm

Could someone recommend eyepieces with focal lengths that are compatible with this telescope to look at the moon and planets? (If that is the problem). 

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 1

sorry to hear of your loss, it's nice tho that you are hoping to press his equipment back into service which I'm sure would have pleased him.

Can you give some more details on the scope and perhaps a picture of the parts you are using?

A 25mm should be fine to look at the moon and find the planets, but perhaps the scope can't achieve the range of movement needed for visual if it was set up for astro imaging.

• Like 1

132 and f/7 sounds like it might have William Optics written on it.

If so you have beauty of a scope. Take very good care of it if so.

You said father was in to imaging if so you may need to locate a short extender somewhere. A camera will have to sit further inwards then an eyepiece. So in order to return to a visual set up the eyepiece position has to effectively be moved outeards a bit. So the need of an extension piece. I would expect one to be in the equipment.

If 925mm focal length then for Jupiter start with a 12mm eyepiece, will deliver 77 times magnification. Which will show a reasonable Jupiter. Saturn is smaller and so needs greater magnification so try the same 12mm but I would expect that you would need an 8mm for 115x.

Eyepieces cost so post the details of the scope. But if as I think you will have a good time. Would also suggest adding a location as clubs are likely starting to become active again and a club is a good source of information.

Edit:

Just thought if father was imaging he may not have used a diagonal in the rear of the focuser, basically directly attached camera to focuser. For an eyepiece you need to add a diagonal and that will do the same as the shall entension tube and move the eyepiece out. If no diagonal in use again look for one in the likely assortment of accessories.

Edited by PEMS
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

sorry to hear of your loss, it's nice tho that you are hoping to press his equipment back into service which I'm sure would have pleased him.

Can you give some more details on the scope and perhaps a picture of the parts you are using?

A 25mm should be fine to look at the moon and find the planets, but perhaps the scope can't achieve the range of movement needed for visual if it was set up for astro imaging.

6 minutes ago, PEMS said:

132 and f/7 sounds like it might have William Optics written on it.

If so you have beauty of a scope. Take very good care of it if so.

You said father was in to imaging if so you may need to locate a short extender somewhere. A camera will have to sit further inwards then an eyepiece. So in order to return to a visual set up the eyepiece position has to effectively be moved outeards a bit. So the need of an extension piece. I would expect one to be in the equipment.

If 925mm focal length then for Jupiter start with a 12mm eyepiece, will deliver 77 times magnification. Which will show a reasonable Jupiter. Saturn is smaller and so needs greater magnification so try the same 12mm but I would expect that you would need an 8mm for 115x.

Eyepieces cost so post the details of the scope. But if as I think you will have a good time. Would also suggest adding a location as clubs are likely starting to become active again and a club is a good source of information.

Edit:

Just thought if father was imaging he may not have used a diagonal in the rear of the focuser, basically directly attached camera to focuser. For an eyepiece you need to add a diagonal and that will do the same as the shall entension tube and move the eyepiece out. If no diagonal in use again look for one in the likely assortment of accessories.

He only recently bought the equipment before his sickness so i am actually not even sure if it was completed/got everything he wanted. I'll list some of the main items he bought.

William Optics Fluorostar 132, ZWO ASI294MC PRO, Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro, ZWO 60mm guide scope, ZWO ASI290 Mini, some filters, lrgb, ir-uv cut, optolong l-enhance, zwo asiair

I hope that is enough, thank you for the help

The 25mm eyepiece should show a lovely view of the moon and many other things.

A diagonal mirror is needed in between the scope focuser and the eyepiece to get the scope to focus though.

From the look of the equipment list, your Father was using the scope for imaging so may not have actually observed with it.

For observing it should look like this:

post-85940-1407415787918_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss, but I'm sure he'll be chuffed you are making use of his (your) gear. As already said you need a diagonal between scope and eyepiece. Lovely equipment list there ! Your Dad chose well 👍🏼

Thanks everyone for your comments, i will purchase a diagonal. Is it best to buy one that is more 'compatible' with the telescope and therefore from the same manufacturer or are there options that work exactly the same for a better price? The shop in my country where my father purchased is one of the few if not only official sellers of William Optics products and when i search for diagonals the first one that pops up is called 'William Optics 2'' Diagonal DuraBright Dielectric Carbon Fiber' and it costs 175 euros. Is this a good purchase? 

Edited by pistachios

12 hours ago, pistachios said:

He only recently bought the equipment before his sickness so i am actually not even sure if it was completed/got everything he wanted. I'll list some of the main items he bought.

William Optics Fluorostar 132, ZWO ASI294MC PRO, Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro, ZWO 60mm guide scope, ZWO ASI290 Mini, some filters, lrgb, ir-uv cut, optolong l-enhance, zwo asiair

I hope that is enough, thank you for the help

Looks like your dad really knew what he was doing. Regarding the EQ6 R Pro mount, I’m sure your dad kept the manual but just in case he didn’t or you don’t have it, here’s a link to it. Give it a read and it will get you going in the right direction. Obviously you will still have questions, just ask

http://skywatcher.com/download/manual/goto-mounts/

And the manual for the Synscan hand controller 

http://skywatcher.com/download/manual/synscan-hand-control-and-synscan-app/

Edited by Jiggy 67

Reviewing the list of equipment your father was building a very nice imaging setup and it is great that you intend learning to use the equipment.

May I offer a simple review of the equipment and it’s function.

Eq6-R-Pro : Ideal Editorial (EQ) Mount well suited to the chosen equipment weight and portability, able to deliver the necessary tracking accuracy to support long exposure imaging for Deep Sky Objects (DSO) ie galaxies, Nebula. Also a good imaging mount with Goto (ability to automatically put the telescope on a chosen sky object - once aligned) capability.

William Optics 132: A high quality imaging/visual scope. It is designed to give a colour aligned, high contrast and sharp image, viewed or camera.

ZWO guide scope: can be used with an eyepiece as a finders scope or as a guide scope with a suitable camera.

ZWO 294MC Camera: Good sensitive single shot colour imaging camera with built in cooling ability to lower the sensor temperature, well suited for DSO imagery. 

ZWO 290 mini: Ideal guide camera for guiding the mount when long exposure imaging. Can also be used as main imaging camera ie planetary.

ASI Air: simple complete imaging system controller software on a computer- once configured for the fitted equipment it enables automatic control of the Imaging System (alignment/goto/tracking and guiding and sequencing of image capture and stacking) user interaction is enabled via an App on an iPad/smart phone or other WiFi enabled device.

In summary, you have a great set of equipment that will ably support either visual or long exposure DSO imaging operation. There are many videos and tutorials online that will improve you learning and this forum is a font of knowledge with many willing members who are keen to help when/if you get stuck.

I hope you take up this hobby and get as much pleasure as we all do. 

Should you decide this hobby is not for you and you decide to sell, may I suggest that you review used prices online before parting with your inheritance. All the equipment you listed is highly desirable and there is good demand in the used market for your equipment.

Good luck and clear skies

• Like 3

Thanks for the help everyone, i purchased the William Optics 2'' Diagonal i mentioned in my previous comment. I tried to attach my eyepiece to the diagonal, it was quite a struggle and it seemed that it didn't want to fit anywhere and i had no other converters or whatever to attach it properly. I did manage to remove a part of the diagonal and just put my eyepiece in there. It seemed that everywhere i tried the threading wasn't compatible and didn't want to attach securely. I'm not sure if i put it on right, but when i put it in the way that i did (see pictures) i could aim it at jupiter and see its moons and i saw the rings of saturn as well (i took some pics with my phone but it's pretty hard). Is this the correct way to put it in? Also, it didn't 'zoom in' super far and i couldn't see details on jupiter for example, is that possible with that eyepiece? (2'' 25mm william optics swan).

The thickest attachment on the first picture was part of the top side (of picture) of the diagonal and had 2 screws in it. I removed that and put my eyepiece in there. I attached the other side to the telescope. The other attachments i found belonged to the cameras, they couldn't be attached properly and i didn't use them.

IMG_0575.thumb.jpg.0a4812d1b07b0e985da0dd206abad3ae.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

There was a tree near jupiter so that is also visible on the picture.

IMG_0561.jpg

Edited by pistachios
  • Like 2

I wonder if that thicker part you removed is the adapter for 1.25-inch eyepieces, seems likely. Well done for persevering and getting some first light with it tho. It's not easy to get images at the eyepiece, a phone holder helps a lot, something I must get myself one day.

As to getting more magnification, you'd need further eyepieces with a shorter focal length than the 25mm one you were using. Whether you want those in 2-inch (more expensive) or 1.25-inch will depend on how much you want to spend tho.

10 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

I wonder if that thicker part you removed is the adapter for 1.25-inch eyepieces, seems likely. Well done for persevering and getting some first light with it tho. It's not easy to get images at the eyepiece, a phone holder helps a lot, something I must get myself one day.

As to getting more magnification, you'd need further eyepieces with a shorter focal length than the 25mm one you were using. Whether you want those in 2-inch (more expensive) or 1.25-inch will depend on how much you want to spend tho.

Ah yes it seems like it indeed is the 1.25-inch adapter. I reread the previous comments and saw someone already commented that different eyepieces are needed for a better view of these planets. I will purchase 2 other eyepieces that are 1,25'' then. I chose the 9mm and 15mm william optics swan, i will test them out when i get them and i hope jupiter and saturn will still peak above the trees by then :).

Edited by pistachios

Been absent for a few days. That is a beautiful scope.  When you said 132 and F/7 it struck a chord.

If already purchased then ignore, but although a William Optics 2" diagonal would be nice you do not need a WO as such. I have a Bresser 2" diagonal and at around the £65 mark they are a significant amount less and if at the learning stage one would at least save some money. Too easy to spend copious amounts of money in this hobby. So think carefully.

Most 2" diagonals are supplied with a 1.25" adaptor for what are actually the more standard eyepiece size.

The WO SWANS will do fine for now. I think the sizes are a little limited 10mm, 15mm and 20mm, I think as I have the set of 3. Will say that I generally use the BST Starguiders. Which I half suggest may be an idea for yourself. Reasonably good eyepieces and a larger selection of focal lengths.

Just go and enjoy the scope. You should get some excellent views out of it.