Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is my best dobsonian option in your opinion?

• 2 months later...

Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread. Just read that @FLOhas a couple of these back in stock today (10" Bresser Dobsonian), and on the basis of the comments & recommendations (thanks again @johninderby👍), I've just ordered myself one of these too... finally taken the plunge and going to try a Dobsonian... will I regret this... aperture fever 🤔😬🤣

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2020 at 20:36, HollyHound said:

Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread. Just read that @FLOhas a couple of these back in stock today (10" Bresser Dobsonian), and on the basis of the comments & recommendations (thanks again @johninderby👍), I've just ordered myself one of these too... finally taken the plunge and going to try a Dobsonian... will I regret this... aperture fever 🤔😬🤣

Hi Holly,

Glad to hear that they stocked up. Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the situation, my has arrived on the 4th of Nov and it's glorious!

Here it is next to my small 130P:

IMG_20201104_230732.thumb.jpg.8f78d0f9e7a6f32af95c5973c9a1092f.jpg

Also wanted to mention 2 things:

- Bresser was nice enough to include a solar filter, although the weather didn't allow for any good viewing so far

- If you get the focuser microreduction add-on, please be careful when installing. With all the care in the world and mine's allen screw broke in the shaft. Waiting on FLO to let me know what the procedure is next.

To end on a high note, here are some Moon stills capture with this beauty:

IMG_20201103_221002.thumb.jpg.b460d22a88e7eb8fb5ec39034a998e46.jpg

IMG_20201103_220535.thumb.jpg.1e465420925eb3bc4ec9af78d2581757.jpg

IMG_20201103_220434.thumb.jpg.7e7f5fb82f6428c3e497a7fbcb0b1408.jpg

@johninderby, thanks again for the the recommendations! Now I have to beef up my eyepiece collection :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Also wanted to mention 2 things:

- Bresser was nice enough to include a solar filter, although the weather didn't allow for any good viewing so far

- If you get the focuser microreduction add-on, please be careful when installing. With all the care in the world and mine's allen screw broke in the shaft. Waiting on FLO to let me know what the procedure is next.

To end on a high note, here are some Moon stills capture with this beauty:

Hi,

Lovely setup... these Bresser dob are great... just need some clear sky again now 🤞

I was surprised by the solar filter too. I've never used one, but will do sometime.

I've done the focuser upgrade too (see other thread), it was tricky and took longer than expected. The instructions are not clear at all and I was careful with the Allen keys, as I was worried about breaking something. Sorry to hear yours broke, but hopefully it can be resolved.

Lovely shots of the moon... I'm looking forward to spending a good deal of time on lunar with this even though my Mak is my primary lunar scope.

Cheers

Gary

• Thanks 1

Congrats on your new scope, Mihai! It's quite a sharp looking unit as well! That's some feb detail on the moon!

A 10 inch solid tube dob or thereabouts is such a lovely, practical scope. Great bang for buck. Awesome on the moon and planets, very capable for deep sky, very little hassle, and only takes a moment to pop out, to be ready to be used in an instant. And just as quick to pop back in if the clear patch never arrives! No great effort to move around.

Have fun!

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1