Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Setup

Good Morning Everyone,

So I’m currently looking at moving into imaging as I love the visual but rarely get to share my experiences with my family. 
Im about to retire from the Navy, I’m only 40 however my time of 22 years is up and that means full pension and payout some of which I would like to use for a good setup. 
The equipment I’m looking at is:

1. StellaMira 104mm ED2 Triplet APO              2. Rowan AZ100 Alt-Az Mount (with encoders & NEXUS DSC)                                                   3. Berlebach Planet with Double Clamps        4. ZWO ASI 294MC-PRO

My question to you all as the experts is, is this a good start or would you recommend something else?

Thank you Mick

HEQ5 is well respected and often considered the baseline for Astrophotography
The  EQ6-R is the next step up (more payload capacity and belt drive - less backlash) so would be good choice and would allow you to upgrade to larger scopes.

I was always told to spend as much money as you can from your budget on the mount as it is the base for everything.

having said that what do you want to photograph and where.

Small galaxies = longer focal length scope so more stability probably require a higher payload also.

Large nebula = larger FOV so perhaps a lens would be better this would reduce payload so a smaller mount would do.