Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daft question......

chiltonstar

For Skywatcher parts, look on OVL (Optical Vision Limited) the importers even FLO, may be able to help.

Another method, if you have the appropriate equipment, would be to 3D print one.... 

• Like 1

I think I got mine it was from these guys... https://store.mocap.co.uk/mocap_uk/a.html?Item=A152.0S50.8B&Inside_Diameter=5.98425&Length=50.800&Material=BLACK&_ga=2.139120113.372164547.1595690709-734244330.1595690709 

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.c0cda8510acd51b8dccf7f8596e13ace.JPG

post-4682-0-68543300-1394159105_cropped.jpg.df346f2e694d80a8f95318583cbdef1a.jpg

I had mislaid my 'screw-on' endcap during a temporary house move a few years ago. The nearest size to 124mm external diameter of the ETX105 is 123mm; (it looks like they no longer make/stock this size); so I clicked and requested a 'sample' which duly processed and posted via Royal Mail/Snail Mail... and no 'Spanish Inquisition' / "Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Say no more!" - Monty Python.

BTW - it makes a handy storage container for endcaps for your e/p's and other optical accessories, etc., whilst the scope is in use.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Anyone know where I can get spare scope front caps from??

I particularly need one for an SW 127 Mak, od 150mm, id 144 mm in order to mount some optical kit.

Many thanks,

Chris

someone once recommended these sort of nitrile blanking caps but they’re spec’d for their od- i guess you could ask them for the id? They’re steel shells coated in nitrile rubber- i think for sealing bores and pipes 🤷‍♂️

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324238274862

A silk or polyester shower cap works also well and the elastic band of it leaves a bit of play for different aperture size. You can buy several of them very cheap through AliExpress directly from China.

might have been me Mark as I did get one for the TAL-M a while back. I think they're also referred to as a bearing end cap and are solid. The nitrile helps it grip the tube well too.

Only thing I'd ask Chris - out of curiosity, what are you thinking to mount using an end cap?

9 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

might have been me Mark as I did get one for the TAL-M a while back. I think they're also referred to as a bearing end cap and are solid. The nitrile helps it grip the tube well too.

Only thing I'd ask Chris - out of curiosity, what are you thinking to mount using an end cap?

For an objective prism system for spectroscopy, ditto some large gratings I have.

Again, thanks to all for the answers.

Chris

sounds interesting. These Nitrile caps are steel so would take a bit of work to cut. You'd also need to consider how to keep the nitrile secure on the uncut areas I guess, if is loses the bonding. I asked about the ID before buying as I recall, or found a supplier that listed the info. It's a very snug fit on the end of the TAL-M OTA and I use it for the mirror end since mine was missing both caps. The nitrile coating meant it doesn't mark the paint which is handy.

Good luck finding a solution and with the project :) 

7 hours ago, Philip R said:

Apologies for the confusion @chiltonstar

I have just re-read your post and now realised you are wanting a 'solid' end cap.

Many thanks, yes - it needs to be rigid like the original (ABS?) cap on the scope so I can drill it and mount a couple of brackets.

Chris

• Thanks 1