Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skymax 127 or Explorer 130?

Looking for my first scope. I like the idea of the GoTo Mount (AZ GTi) and these two scopes - Skymax 127 or Explorer 130 - come with this mount. It can take up to 5kg (if you do have other suggestions), but presuming you don't, which one do you think is best? I'm looking for an all rounder, so planets and DSO but not looking to get into AP yet. 

Any pointers gratefully received. Thanks. 

The 'all rounder' telescope does not really exist, except in a very loose sense.  Either of these would serve as a general purpose scope, but the Skymax 127 (a Maksutov, I assume) has a much longer focal length and a narrower field of view.  Which is fine for looking at planets, double stars and small DSO's.  The other one will be more demanding of eyepiece choice because of the faster focal ratio, but will score if you want to look at wide star clusters.  Your choice.

The Skymax127 is best for lunar and planetary observing. The 130 is the better all rounder if you want to look at a bit of everything.

Also the 130 is better for imaging but with an Alt-Az mount better suited to lunar and planetary. An EQ mount is better for imaging but not so easy to use and setup as an Alt-Az mount. BTW proper AP is £££££ and can get quite expensive. Would be a good idea to get a smartphone holder and try some basic AP. You can get decent results using a smartphone.

There is no one scope that is good at everything which is why most on here have more than one scope. 

Edited by johninderby

Hi @Sillabub and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

First thing to remember when purchasing your 'first' telescope... buy from a dedicated astro-retailer/outlet... not the high street or online auction sites or warehouses. 

The Skymax 127... this is a Maksutov (catadioptric) telescope. They are often referred to as planet killers. (I have a 're-modded' ETX105). They do have a few upsides and downsides, but nothing serious. These are...

• the eyepiece end is always at a convenient position.
  • long focal length means it is not to fussy about eyepieces.
  • the view is right way up, but left/right - east/west are reversed.
  • hardly requires collimation.
  • compact size means less storage space and highly portable.
  • notorious dew magnets - a dew shield is a must have accessory.
  • need at least thirty minutes cool down [minimum] to cool off and let the trapped warm air escape - I mount mine with the visual back pointing up to the sky during this time and pray that there are no low-flying bats or birds about.
  • narrow field of view for some DSO's.

The Explorer 130... this is the Newtonian design that many people think of when you say reflector telescope. Almost the all rounder for viewing many celestial targets; (although no telescope design does all). These too have a few upside and downsides. I will give you a few downsides...

• the eyepiece and finder will get in to some odd angles if the OTA mounted an EQ mount.
  • views are upside down i.e. south is at the top - north is at the bottom.
  • will require collimation every now and again.
  • at f/7 or thereabouts it maybe a bit fussy about eyepieces.
  • IMHO - the spider that holds the secondary is a bit on the 'thick' side for my liking - downside is/may cause diffraction spikes... it's a Marmite thing!
Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

This is such a tough decision! Why can't it be easy! I am still none the wiser as there are so many pros and cons! 

If I wanted to grab and go and not have to wait around it sounds like a 130 may be the way to go otherwise have to wait for 30 minutes? Is that right? 

Thanks again all. 

1 hour ago, sputniksteve said:

Cooling will also depend upon where you store the 'scope. If it is in an unheated garage it won't take so long as if you store it in the house.

Agreed. "Grab 'n' Go" always implies spontaneity but in practice, at least in my experience, there is always a certain amount of anticipation which allows time to prepare a little. On a night that just might work out, it only takes a few minutes to put a scope as small as the 127 Mak somewhere it can acclimatise for a while.

I thought I wouldn't have been able to decide which telescope to buy without the need to create another thread, fortunately I found this one as I have come down to these exactly 2 scopes. I think buying a first telescope is one of the most difficult task I've done, as there is no a single all-around choice and it depends if one wants planetary or DSO and if I want to specialize in astrophotography. These are things one doesn't really have clear before the first one and I can see my self getting a 2nd scope at sometime later. I've been reading a lot on this an other forums and checking the website stores for a few days now and I have a better idea of what I want.

I have a question about the Explorer, as I understand the DS version is more suitable for AP but it is still possible to do observation with the provided eyepiece (28 mm). the 130-P version comes with 25 mm an 10 mm pieces. any experience using the 130P-DS for just observation? maybe good idea to get an extra eyepiece?

I also want some advice regarding the mounts, the Mak can be ordered with a synScan Az GoTo, it looks a good budget alternative, a total of 419 GBP. But thinking on a possible 2nd telescope in the future it maybe worth getting a better mount. For just 449 GBP it could be ordered with a Az GTi mount that also provides GoTo functionality with the app via Wifi and looks more sturdy. Or the Eq3 pro GoTo for 669 GBP, not sure If it really worth paying 250 GBP more for upgrading to a EQ3, will the EQ3 be a long term investment or It will it be better to aim for the EQ5?

In the case of the Explorer, it can be ordered with the EQ3 Pro GoTo for 589 GBP. would it be better use of money to order it with a EQ5 with the enhanced dual motor set for 562 GBP? how good are these motor drives?

In summary I could summarize I am between these alternatives:

1. Maksutov 127 with synScan Az GoTo for 419 GBP.   And later another scope more specialized for DSO and AP.

2. Explorer 130 P-DS with the EQ3 pro GoTo or the EQ5 with dual motor for 562 GBP, maybe adding another eyepiece.

Thanks!

On 25/07/2020 at 18:46, Sillabub said:

Thanks again. I haven't really considered an SCT before. 

What are our views on them and examples such as... 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astro-fi-series-telescopes/celestron-astro-fi-6-schmidt-cassegrain-sct.html

Thanks

Same comments as I mentioned yesterday, as above... and equally or nearly as good as a Maksutov in my opinion.

• Useful tip should you purchase a Maksutov or SCT #1: When not in use, store it in an upright position: i.e. visual back pointing down. Simple reason is that if stored in a room which gets extremely hot during the daytime, it may result in the grease on baffle tube 'melting' or 'dripping' onto the meniscus cell (Mak.) or corrector plate (SCT). 
  • Useful tip should you purchase a Maksutov or SCT #2: fully rotate the focus wheel/knob so the primary mirror glides/slides on the baffle tube smoothly in and out a few times to 'evenly spread' the grease if it has not been used after a long period. I normally do this to my ETX105 & C6/SCT-xlt every two months.    
Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Below are two 'experienced' Mak and SCT website contributors...

Mike Weasner... http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html - useful for all things ETX related and other stuff on his other sites.
'Uncle' Rod Mollise... https://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/ - this guy covers all things Mak & SCT related. Many magazine and online articles published.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 2

interesting thread with two popular scopes "in the frame " .. if i can add , i once owned a 130pds which still remains the best scope i had for imaging and for a bit of visual , but i now own a skywatcher 127 mak which is fantastic at planetary ( ive not had chance to view the moon yet but ive heard that its superb through this scope), and a few DSO's . Both scopes will serve you well. But , i have had the same dilemma on more than one occasion regarding what scope to buy... Indecision can cost you a lot of money ! Take your time before choosing , the sky isn't going anywhere !

I now have two scopes , one for imaging and the Mak for viewing . I second , third and fourth the above sayings ... there isn't a scope that does everything . 

• Like 2

Just to add to the above which is all great advice, I have the SW SkyMax 127 and for viewing the moon and planets you won't go far wrong with that scope. You will struggle to see all but the brightest DSOs, thinking Orion's Nebula and star clusters under semi urban skies from my own limited experience. Do put a dew shield at the top of your shopping list too.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 13:34, rob_r said:

Just to add to the above which is all great advice, I have the SW SkyMax 127 and for viewing the moon and planets you won't go far wrong with that scope. You will struggle to see all but the brightest DSOs, thinking Orion's Nebula and star clusters under semi urban skies from my own limited experience. Do put a dew shield at the top of your shopping list too.

Used my 127 on the moon last night OMG !! Fantastic view .