NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you ID this mount please? And what should I pay for this setup?

A friend's friend is selling an old SW 6" version with a 750mm focal length which is gathering dust in their garage. It appears to be a very old version as it comes in blue colour (reference photo below).

Could you please help me with a couple of questions please:

1) Which mount do you think this is?

2) The version which I am getting doesn't come with motor visible here but it has the same OTA, this same mount, 2 eyepieces and tripod. The seller says it is hardly ever used. How much do you think I should pay for this tops?

3) Is this better than buying a brand new Skyquest 130p, which comes with an EQ2 mount and 5" diameter?

4) Since this will be my first purchase, is there anything i can check about the quality of the scope before buying?

eso0202a1.png

Does the outfit you are thinking of buying look essentially the same as this?  I have no idea what the mount is, but it looks like a serious mount, and that upside-down eyepiece tray is the same as on my Synta-made Celestron and Sky-watcher kits.

Value - try offering 66% of the cost of a new 6" Newtonian OTA?

The scope will be better than a 130p if it's in good order.  If the scope and mirrors look clean apart from a bit of dust and nothing looks battered, it should be OK.

I would not have a Eq-2 mount as a gift, having owned a EQ-2 clone in the past.  The mount in the photo should be better, even if it only works as a manual push mount.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ionlylookup said:

1) Which mount do you think this is?

The mount is an EQ3-2 fitted with the Synscan upgrade.

16 minutes ago, Ionlylookup said:

3) Is this better than buying a brand new Skyquest 130p, which comes with an EQ2 mount and 5" diameter?

It's a better mount and telescope.

16 minutes ago, Ionlylookup said:

4) Since this will be my first purchase, is there anything i can check about the quality of the scope before buying?

Have the seller demonstrate the mount to satisfy yourself that it is fully functional.

• Thanks 1

Hi i had the 150/750 one of the nicest scopes i have had my mount was the old 3/2 rock solid . Buy it you wont go wrong the mount is motorized but not goto but if working will be nice mine was manual but still nice to use 

• Thanks 1

Hi @Ionlylookup and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

My guess for the mount is that it is a SkyWatcher EQ3/2, which is clone of the Vixen GP. 

Has the seller given/hinted at a price? - you should be looking to pay about 2/3rds of 'new' as a guide; assuming it has been looked after.

Ask the seller to demonstrate it in use.

• Thanks 1

The EQ5 is the Vixen GP clone. The EQ 3-2 is a clone of the Vixen Polaris.

The mount in the picture looks like an EQ3-2 / CG4 / Skyscan 2000 (and older name for it)

• Thanks 1

Hi   Ionlylookup,

A new, manual EQ3-2/150p lists for about £320.

I bought an old 8" scope  on an EQ3-2, but with a poorer tripod than the tubular one in the pic, 3 years ago for just over £100.   I got a bargain!

The setup you are considering may be about 15 years old. If both axes move smoothly all the way round & the mirrors are not stained, (don't worry about dust) then there is probably plenty of life left in the kit and  I would offer about £120. (Old EQ3-2's & 150p's are not hard to find)

At that price if you decide you don't like EQ mounts or if,  perish the thought , the astronomy bug doesn't bite you 😀   you can probably move it on  without loss, to a beginner on a tight budget.

BTW I think the "2/3 of new price" mentioned above can be a fair asking price when selling recent gear I think it would be rather generous when buying kit of this age.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lenscap said:

BTW I think the "2/3 of new price" mentioned above can be a fair asking price when selling recent gear I think it would be rather generous when buying kit of this age.

Right, unless it's highly desirable kit like AP refractors and such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your quick responses on this. I am really grateful for All your insights and practical tips

I finally managed to get the actual picture of the mount. Do you think it’s the same EQ3-2 mount? 

The seller is unsure about the models and doesn’t have any box/ manuals. 

Edited by Ionlylookup

The logo on the side is identical to that on my Sky Scan 2001, which as John says is an EQ3-2.  The mounting for the counterweight bar doesn't look quite the same as mine, which is conical, but in all other respects, including the missing polar scope cover (I keep meaning to 3d print a new one) it looks identical.

James

• Thanks 1