Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Auto focuser options for INDI/Linux

Happily using astroberry/INDI at the moment, but looking to add an auto focuser.

The entry level choice appears to be the skywatcher focuser plus HitecAstro DC Focus however, if you google Linux compatibility for the HitecAstro  the first 3 hits are issues, and it doesn't look like HitecAstro ever made support official.

So hopeful that someone might be able to help:

- confirm if the HitecAstro DC works on linux (and if you have the newer v2 or the older model)

- are there any reasonably priced alternatives that have better linux/INDI support? Everything I found so far is at least 2x the price

I may just accept that I have to get the soldering iron out and make my own arduino based controller, but I generally regret trying DIY electronics!

I can recommend the Lakeside motors and controllers. They work really well under Astroberry/INDI. There are a wide range of brackets available to fix to whatever scope you have.

Pegasus also work well with INdI...and FYI, FLO now own Hitecastro so ask them about the INdI driver, and see if there will be any development, also ask on the INdI forum...if there is no driver, there will be a high chance that someone on there will create one... 👍😀

Another vote for the Lakeside. Currently using it with it's control box but as soon as the UPB2 turns up it will go through that. Only odd thing I have noticed with Kstars/Indi is that you have to enable backlash every time you set up. for some reason it doesn't remember that setting but other than that, great.

50 minutes ago, Richie092 said:

Another vote for the Lakeside. Currently using it with it's control box but as soon as the UPB2 turns up it will go through that. Only odd thing I have noticed with Kstars/Indi is that you have to enable backlash every time you set up. for some reason it doesn't remember that setting but other than that, great.

Just a note on the cable, mine came with the wrong serial plug end from Altair. It was quicker to get a DIY plug from CPC or similar places.

• Like 1

Thanks all - I'd totally missed the fact that the cheaper skywatcher/hitec astro solution was a cheaper dc motor and mostly the others are stepper motors, hence the price difference is probably reasonable! 

I'll check out the Lakeside.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Just a note on the cable, mine came with the wrong serial plug end from Altair. It was quicker to get a DIY plug from CPC or similar places.

Ta. I was careful to spec the right one so pot luck I guess. It is still probably a few weeks away judging by the last comm I had with them.

• Like 1