Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is Android the answer for AZ-GTI and Sky Safari+

SonyDave

Hi All.

So I am having problems connecting AZ-GTI and Sky Safari plus using iphone and ipad. Try as i might SS+ will not connect to scope. I've checked and checked all settings on both devices as per instructions ie: IP address of phone - 192.168.4.2 into SS+ with port 11882 and all i get is cannot connect to scope. I have connected phone and ipad as per other peoples advice but no joy. If I bought an android tablet can this be alone ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

2 hours ago, SonyDave said:

Hi All.

So I am having problems connecting AZ-GTI and Sky Safari plus using iphone and ipad. Try as i might SS+ will not connect to scope. I've checked and checked all settings on both devices as per instructions ie: IP address of phone - 192.168.4.2 into SS+ with port 11882 and all i get is cannot connect to scope. I have connected phone and ipad as per other peoples advice but no joy. If I bought an android tablet can this be alone ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Dave, I think the latest version of SkySafari has a Skywatcher Synscan link option in the scope type menu, have you tried that out?

412CF572-EFA7-425C-994C-E601C4A22832.png

An Android tablet of about 7" is probably the best idea. You could I suppose look at an inexpensive smartphone and do not add a sim card and in effect use it as a tablet. I purchased a Xiaomi Redmi 7A phone and smaller then a 7" but a very good size and clear screen.

Just have to find one of suitable price, you need compass, GPS and Accelerometer as part of the tablet. That way all the user friendly features work and look impressive to other people.

One side of Android I have found is that for GPS to be delivered to the mount you have to tell the mount to get it from the Android and tell Android to let the mount have the data. Effectively both ends need enabled.

Two aspects of it all I slightly dislike is that to align you have no buttons to feel when looking through the eyepiece and the tablet or phone has to remain with the mount. Otherwise the connection is lost. I dislike leaving a tablet/phone sat on the mount spreader, too easy for someone to pick up.

Hallelujah! This is the first time I’ve seen this spelled out and it works. Just set synscanlink as the scope type. I was fooled because when you’ve done that you don’t see any wireless settings. You just connect your iPad or phone to the mounts synscan network, open Sky Safari and click connect. So then opens the Synscan pro app and you connect with that then either app can control the mount. Question: do I align with the synscan app or sky safari?

• Like 1

Well I tried Stu's advice unfortunately still didn't work so I downloaded  Luminos. Had a modicum of success but it kept dropping WIFI connection so I might throw it all over the cemetery at the bottom of the garden. 😭 I might leave it till the weekend and into next week when I am furloughed again to have another play.

Thanks for all advice. I will keep you updated.

Dave

On 20/07/2020 at 21:19, SonyDave said:

Well I tried Stu's advice unfortunately still didn't work so I downloaded  Luminos. Had a modicum of success but it kept dropping WIFI connection so I might throw it all over the cemetery at the bottom of the garden. 😭 I might leave it till the weekend and into next week when I am furloughed again to have another play.

Thanks for all advice. I will keep you updated.

Dave

Have you tried using the Synscan Pro app to connect to the mount? If that also does NOT work then we can look at other options.

I’ve been able to try twice more with both iPad and iPhone )just one at a time!) with complete success. I first turn off my router extension so there’s no other wi fi in the garden then Switch on the mount, go to settings in iOS. Often I’ll find it’s already connected to th synscan network. Open sky safari click connect and it will open the Synscan app and then connect that. It works either if I align with the app or sky safari. 

Dropping connection is usually the fault if another more powerful Wi-fi network but also your phone/ pad must be set so the screen doesn’t go to sleep. 

9 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Have you tried using the Synscan Pro app to connect to the mount? If that also does NOT work then we can look at other options.

Synscan pro works fine on its own.

5 hours ago, robhatherton said:

I’ve been able to try twice more with both iPad and iPhone )just one at a time!) with complete success. I first turn off my router extension so there’s no other wi fi in the garden then Switch on the mount, go to settings in iOS. Often I’ll find it’s already connected to th synscan network. Open sky safari click connect and it will open the Synscan app and then connect that. It works either if I align with the app or sky safari. 

Dropping connection is usually the fault if another more powerful Wi-fi network but also your phone/ pad must be set so the screen doesn’t go to sleep. 

Must admit I haven't switched off my router and yes both devices set not to go to sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. The mount started to crash on the synscan pro app as well. Tried new batteries, changed the WIFI channel, switched off home WIFI. Contacted suppliers and agreed its faulty. Maybe new unit will work better.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

• 7 months later...
On 22/07/2020 at 20:23, SonyDave said:

Synscan pro works fine on its own.

The problem with the Synscan app on iOS is that it doesn’t run in the background. So after alignment in the synscan app and the initial handover of the synscan link data to any other app like Luminos or SkySafari, the two apps no longer are able to communicate. So goto’s are compromised. Your better off continuing any syncs to other objects in the synscan app and then the purposing the hand over. Not sure if this is the case in android. In any event Luminos works far better than SkySafari pro. It has better sync options albeit these are only local to the target selected.