Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Comet maybe?

ALES

Hi, I spotted this on my shots of Jupiter/Saturn last night. It looks like a comet but I can't find anything to say there is one there. 

Does anyone know what it is? I don't think it's a camera/lens issue as it's only on the Jupiter/Saturn photos I took.

Canon d450,  50mm, 13sec, ISO800, Ditchling Beacon (nr Brighton, UK), 18 July 2020 00:02

20200718_013015.jpg

Edited by ALES
amended text
  • Confused 1

All plausible suggestions but I don't think any fit:

It's on multiple photos shot over a few minutes so not a transient event 

It's made a trail the same as the stars, its brightness is reduced the same as the other stars on a shorter exposure image, and it's not on any other photos I took before/after looking elsewhere in the sky which all suggest it's not an artefact

On the sky software I have there nothing close to that magnitude I that area

5 minutes ago, ALES said:

All plausible suggestions but I don't think any fit:

It's on multiple photos shot over a few minutes so not a transient event 

It's made a trail the same as the stars, its brightness is reduced the same as the other stars on a shorter exposure image, and it's not on any other photos I took before/after looking elsewhere in the sky which all suggest it's not an artefact

On the sky software I have there nothing close to that magnitude I that area

That's new information! Search for other images taken that night and see if it shows up.

I would suspect a reflection as it has a "circular " halo not shown by Jupiter or Saturn.

Regards Andrew 

Crossed with @Waddensky

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

Internal reflection is an interesting possibility. 

If it stays clear I'll get another shot tonight but have the camera at a different angle - if it's in the same place it won't be a reflection. 

Edit - just realised a comet would move anyway! Maybe if I use a different lens that'll test the reflection theory :)

Edited by ALES