NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solved: How to open Celestron Firmware Manager when the Jar file that was unzipped from the download can't be made executable I.E. into an exe

Hello there,

I told you it wouldn't be long before I started asking for help! ;)

I can download CFM from Celestron's support page. I download the zipped file, extract the contents but that's as far as I can get. 

The file in the unzipped file shows as a 'Jar' file instead of an exe. That naugghty little jar justs sits there and will not dance for me. 

I am running Windows 10. I have latest version of Java installed. I have tried turning around 3 times with one hand on my head and one on my tummy. No luck.

I am neuro A typical, for the record, so that accounts for why I absolutely MUST know how to (please) open this file even though the odds are my kit is up to date. 

Seriously, this is driving me nuts. I found stargazerslounge via my searches in trying to solve this problem and I thought to myself what a nice vibe this ite has. so I joined. 

Any help / advice / chocolate (milk or dark) , money (PP or cash ;) ) all very gratfefully and cheek kissingly received. 

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie

You can check the firmware version in your handset and see if it is the latest available. If it is the latest version, you don't need to do anything.

Even if it isn't the latest version you probably don't need to do anything.

Old engineer's saying: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

There are posts from people in this forum who have updated  firmware and made things worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knobby said:

If it won't open, re install java.

Thanks. I reinstalled Java but no luck. Strang thing is, some peeps using Windows 10 have no issue opening Jar files, some, like me, do. And that seemingly random variability is extremely annoying. 

59 minutes ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

How olds the scope out of interest, theres the "firmware" manager and then theres "ye olde firmware" manager.

Don't panic anyway, you may of hit the motherload:  https://www.nexstarsite.com/Firmware.htm

Thanks. The tube and mount are brand new, so odds are they won't need an update. But I was so looking forward to plugging it all in and checking for updates. I love stuff like that WHEN IT WORKS but get very irritated and sad when it doesn't. It just drives me nuts not knowing why I (and others) can't make jar files executable. My instinct is is it may be something to do a matrix between the security software and Java. Security software / anti vrus issues might accaount for why some Windows 10 peeps have this problem and others don't.

Just now, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

Thanks. The tube and mount are brand new, so odds are they won't need an update. But I was so looking forward to plugging it all in and checking for updates. I love stuff like that WHEN IT WORKS but get very irritated and sad when it doesn't. It just drives me nuts not knowing why I (and others) can't make jar files executable. My instinct is is it may be something to do a matrix between the security software and Java. Security software / anti vrus issues might accaount for why some Windows 10 peeps have this problem and others don't.

is there another Pc you can try it on?

Obviously always nice to have the latest version, but most of the updates as far as I understand have been about fixing old bugs, I doubt your missing out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

Thanks. I reinstalled Java but no luck. Strang thing is, some peeps using Windows 10 have no issue opening Jar files, some, like me, do. And that seemingly random variability is extremely annoying. 

Have you tried right clicking on the .jar file and choosing 'open with'? You then need to choose the java platform binary (java.exe), which if it doesn't show can be found in c:\program files(x86)\java\jre1.?????\bin   (where??? is whatever version of java you have installed. This is the 32bit version of java - if you have a 64 bit version installed you will find it in c\Program Files\java\jre1?????\bin

If this works you can tick the box that says 'always use this app to open .jar files'

Edited by Shimrod
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mick H said:

Seems like a lot of Windows 10 user have your problem from a quick search on cloudy nights site.

You might need to try jarfix:

https://johann.loefflmann.net/en/software/jarfix/index.html

:blob5::blob5::blob5::blob5::blob5::blob5::blob5::blob5:

Thank you!! Thank you!!! THANKI YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KISSES

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍 IT WORKED!! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

I am now going to spend MY WHOLE AFTERNOON blissfully opeing the 3,543 jar files that I willed to open but could not and seeing that beautiful Celestron Firmware Manager in his shiny suit of orange armour sitting on my page!!!

I'm ecstatic!!!! 

Thank you xxx 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Have you tried right clicking on the .jar file and choosing 'open with'? You then need to choose the java platform binary (java.exe), which if it doesn't show can be found in c:\program files(x86)\java\jre1.?????\bin   (where??? is whatever version of java you have installed. This is the 32bit version of java - if you have a 64 bit version installed you will find it in c\Program Files\java\jre1?????\bin

If this works you can tick the box that says 'always use this app to open .jar files'

Hi & thank you for taking the time to help me. I didn't try your suggestion - I tried 'Jarfix' first - but I suspect that your method would have achieved the same success. I had tried right clicking and doing 'open with' but it seems unless one has the fix provided by Jarfix, the option to open with Java is never there. The best option Windows 10 gave me was to try Firefox....................... Thank again. :) 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...