NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher 150PDS or 200PDS with EQ5

Hello, first post here :) 

I've been looking through the forums, trying to get a feeling for what suits me best, but there's so much information it's confusing.

I want to get into astrophotography in a beginners manner, budget-wise. I am looking for something that I can use like 65% for AP and 35% visual - a good mix, as it is my first telescope.
I have narrowed it down to the SkyWatcher Explorer 150PDS with EQ5 Pro with Synscan and GoTo motor or SkyWatcher Explorer 200PDS with EQ5 Synscan with motor and computercontrol. 
Now, I've read that a lot of people dislike the idea of the 200PDS with a EQ5, why I don't know.
Also, it seems like the 150PDS is better for deep sky objects, where the 200PDS is better for "closer" objects. 

My goal is to photograph the planets and some deep sky objects, but also be able to see objects visually. Basically a want a bit of everything, as it is my first telescope, but mainly for AP.
Which one would you recommend and why?

Cheers!

Just now, banjaxed said:

Yes, you need good stability for AP.

That make sense. It is also 8kg heavier than the 150PDS.
What would be the pros and cons of the two? Will planets still be clearly visible through the 150PDS?

Hi Ranger Zeus, I don’t normally reply to these threads as most of them I have no immediate knowledge, this one is on the money.

I started Astro three years ago knowing absolutely nothing. A year in bought an SW NEQ5 Pro SynScan V5 and SW 150 PDS with the intention of doing AP with my DSLR

At first I was horrified that I had made a huge mistake. The whole world says AP starts at HEQ5. Not so!

Now to clarify, really good AP results start at HEQ5. However I am getting usable 60 second subs unguided from my setup with careful polar alignment.

I would however say that in my opinion the 200 PDS is a leap too far and the previous suggestion of 130 and 150 for the same cost makes lots of sense.

I have imaged Nebula, Clusters, Globs and Galaxies including The Whirlpool, Leo Triplet and M81/82 with some success.

Thinking about it.. would you be better off buying an HEQ5 130PDS then getting a 150 in the future? That way you are mount future proofed.
It has taken me a year to learn how to take all the subs darks flats etc and it will take a lot longer to learn processing so you have plenty of time not to mention cloudy skies to look forward to.

Marvin

Thanks for all your responses, I highly appreciate it!

So, the generel advice is to get 150PDS (or even 130PDS) for the better stability. How is the visibility of the planets through these telescopes compared to the 200PDS - minimal, moderate or big?

3 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Thinking about it.. would you be better off buying an HEQ5 130PDS then getting a 150 in the future? That way you are mount future proofed.

I like the idea of my mount being future proofed, but same concern as above. How well is the visability of these scopes? I don't only want to be able to see images on my pc when going stargazing. How well can you see and photograph planets through yours?

I have an Orion Space Probe 130 which I have upgraded with the PDS focuser, in effect, making it a 130 pds.

I also have an SW 150 pds and I find both excellent for AP and visual. I have seen all the planets and at present are 108 of 110 Messiers. 
I have seen transits and shadow transits of Jupiter. The Cassini division and ring shadow on Saturn plus moons and surface shading on Mars sometime back. At present I am only using a box of cheap Plossls, so with higher end ep,s the views can only get better. FYI I am bortle 4 skies.

I cannot comment on imaging planets as I have been concentrating on DSO,s since starting AP as the planets are now just coming back to my latitude. 

Marvin