Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Backyard Scope vs iTelescope Scope

MattJenko

Been meaning to do this for a while. Not exactly a like for like, given the home scope was just over 6 hours and the iTelescope scope had just under 3 with a bit of a few missing Green subs (half the number of B,R).

Home scope: Altair Astro RC6, HEQ5, Atik 460ex. 0.69 arc-sec/pixel

iTelescope 21 : Planewave 17CDK, Planewave Ascension 200HR, FLI PL6063E, 0.96 arc-sec/pixel

Which is which?

M52.jpg

M52.jpg

I would say that second is iTelescope.

I base my answer on diffraction spikes orientation, my guess is that remote telescope operators is going to align their camera to one of the axis and scope is probably mounted similar - which ensures diffraction spikes to be aligned with sensor?

• Thanks 1

I'm going to change my answer on the basis that vlaiv and jimjam111 know what they're talking about. ;) Also I can see more detail now I'm looking on my monitor instead of an iphone.

Edited by RobertI

Tis indeed the second one from iTelescope. They get things nice and oriented. I actually prefer the data from my RC6 though, despite the gradient I can see after posting. Just goes to show how much the $$$ racks up to get those last few % improvements and how well you can get things working with a scope that costs less than a single filter in the iTelescope setup. 

I suppose part of what you pay for with remote imaging  is not having to set up, run and maintain the rig (although that is the part I most enjoy), and of course the much improved sky and weather conditions. 

I think if you primarily enjoy the image processing element, it’s probably worth it to have a regular supply of quality data, but it is currently not for me.