NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Simple question or so I think...

Hi all,

Astro Alice is continuing her persuit of a skywatcher dobsonian & the question is now either the 150p or 200p as that is what she/we have within our grasp. Just thinking out loud as then we could have either have extra cash now for an extra eye piece or whatever or go larger in the first instance.....aarrgghhh

Hi AA&D,

Unless you are going to have issues carrying the larger scope, I'd go for the 200. Otherwise you will always be thinking "I'd have seen more/better/clearer" when looking at something through the 150.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I second that get the biggest beast you can carry and afford , I had a 150 and now a 200 it's so much better

They are not heavy it's more of over all size , mine is on an EQ mount so a 200 dobs I think would be easier to set up 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You won’t be disappointed with the 8” Dob which can be bought used for almost half the new cost. If moving it is a problem then a simple platform trolley makes moving the whole setup very easy.

• Thanks 1

200 if on a dob mount, no question.  You're probably going to want to lug the dob base out separately anyway, saves any potential risk of dropping something or a back injury trying to haul it all as one.  Depending on how tall Astro Alice is, might want to invest in a small set of steps too!

• Thanks 1

I would get the 200p. I have one and it's not that difficult moving it about with the scope still attached to the base using the tensioner handles.

It's a pity you live so far away from me as I am going to be selling my 200p soon.

• Thanks 1