Half Hour Veil Complex

mightymonoped

Started this last night as a test of my IDAS LPS D2 filter. 

just 33 mins on an unmodified EOS 60d with a Samyang 135mm at f2.8 800 ASA

bad news is that the filter is still causing internal reflections on brighter stars. 

the good news is that this lens can pull unbelievable amounts of light under even challenging conditions. 

50DDB623-00C1-47C1-842B-084DED6647CB.jpeg

• Like 12

Very promising set up for capturing wide field,

considering the amount of data gathered I would be quite chuffed with that result,

only thing I would say it the red channel looks a little over saturated,

apart from that very nice

Paul

Which way around do you have the filter?

The IDAS D2 is directional meaning that the male threaded side goes to the sensor and the female threaded side goes to the sky. I had to buy an adaptor that enabled me to turn mine around in one of my scopes.

Ok no problem as I know from experience that it did give a unusual bright stars when I had it the wrong way around. When I turned it through 180 all was ok. The anti reflectance is on one side only apparently.

16 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Ok no problem as I know from experience that it did give a unusual bright stars when I had it the wrong way around. When I turned it through 180 all was ok. The anti reflectance is on one side only apparently.

I might give it a look at anyway thanks Terry. I did wonder about that but I’ll need to check the fitting of the clip-in. Having said that, it doesnt actually lock into anything so it may be worth trying 😊

12 hours ago, carastro said:

For an unmodded camera and only half an hour that's come our very well.  

Carole 

Cheers Carole,

I’m really excited about this lens. Can’t wait to get out to a good location with it later in the year. Looking forward to Andromeda and Orion with this one. 

4 hours ago, carastro said:

If it's not too cheeky to say, you would do a whole lot better with either a modified DSLR or a dedicated camera.  

Carole 

Already got a plan for that Carole, currently planning on replacing the DSLR with a ASI1600MM  Pro and running the SA setup using an ASIAir. Then investing in a proper mount once I have moved permanently to the house (and garden).  I still have the ED80 and the guidescope /camera can be used with either. 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2020 at 16:11, TerryMcK said:

Which way around do you have the filter?

The IDAS D2 is directional meaning that the male threaded side goes to the sensor and the female threaded side goes to the sky. I had to buy an adaptor that enabled me to turn mine around in one of my scopes.

You can turn the filter around in its cell by carefully unscrewing the retaining ring.

Amazed you got any red at all with an unmodded camera and the D2. It is designed for use with a modded camera.  I have used it with both and there is nothing left of the red in the unmodded camera. It's back a long way even in the modded dslr. Interesting you get reflections as I was planning on getting the 135mm to complete my travel rig. I have an Asiair but it is powering it that's an Bottom for travel, and I figure using the 14, 50, or 135 isnt going to need tracking so best keep it simple,  and I am not sure the sw sa is ever going to track or guide well enough for long exposures. 

I haven’t had any problems pulling the red out in Cygnus with it fitted. If it wasn’t for the reflections it would be a definite keeper. 

The DA has no problems tracking 3mins with the 14 and 50. The 135 is a little more demanding obviously. Best I’ve got so far is 2 minutes. Have played a bit with guiding just because the guidescope can, really. Seemed to work fine last night subs are currently limited by the light conditions rather than the lens. May try longer subs with the CLS fitted tonight to see how it behaves. 
The trickiest bit is framing the shot after an accurate polar alignment with Sharpcap, that’s were it becomes a bit of a lottery maybe?

Edited by mightymonoped