Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best setup to view planets

Hello, 

I have always been fascinated by stars and planets and recently my wife gifted me "Celestron Omni AZ-102". Since then, I have been very excited to learn how to use this telescope. I started with Moon and looking at its craters using my 10mm and 20mm lens. Yesterday for the first time I tried looking at planets, I could see Jupiter and Saturn with my naked eyes and thought of using my telescope for the same. I was able to see Jupiter and its 4 moons and Saturn with its ring and I can't express how happy I was looking at them. I then tried to look at Mars but all I could see was just a small red dot with both 20mm an 10mm lens. 

I had some noob questions about my experience with using the telescope and was wondering if anyone could help me use it better.

1. When I use the telescope it shakes a lot, it might be my hands or something but is there a way to keep the telescope stable and sturdy?
  2. Since Mars was just a dot and event Saturn a Jupiter were a little small, is there a better lens that I can use to view planets? I understand with 10mm the view is more magnified so then should I go for 3mm or 5mm or 6mm lens? Would that work with my telescope and give me a better view?
  3. My StarPointer finder (Red Dot) might be a little off, I need to set the starpointer finder to the left of the object whereas the instructions said that if I put the red dot on the star, I should be able to see it clearly. I am wondering if something is wrong with how I am using it or is it normal for the starpointer finder to be a little off?
  4. Sorry, this might be a very noob question but except looking at Stars and Planets what else can I use my telescope for? I don't know if I can see galaxies but I highly doubt it, I just want to explore the beauty of space and have been wondering how to make the most of this telescope.
  5. I was also reading about using color filter with lens but I didn't really understand how and why to use them, is this something that I should buy?
  6. I was planning to buy this lens set "https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006RH5I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1", do you think this would help with better viewing? These are the lenses that the set includes 32mm, 17mm, 13mm, 8mm, and 6mm, I was just wondering that if the planets are not very magnified with 10mm then what's the best use of 32mm, 17mm, 13mm lens?

I am really sorry if these questions are very basic but its my first time using a telescope and after yesterday's small success I really want to make the most of it. Thank you for taking the time to read!! 

Telescope configuration:

660 MM Focal Length(F/6.5)

102MM (4 inches) aperture refactor telescope

20mm(33x)-1.25 inch Eye piece

20mm(66x)-1.25 inch Eye Piece

90 degree erect image Diagonal

Thank you!!

Hi

The mount is not very solid and so will shake and vibrate a lot while focusing.

Mars is usualy just a small red dot and takes very good seeing to see any detail at all and then that’s when mars is closest to earth.

Don't waste your money on colour filters. Much better to get specific filters for what you are looking at. This is a big subject and there are many threads on it. Eyepiece sets are a big waste of money. Low quailty eyepieces and poor accessories.  Much better to buy a couple of better eyepieces and build up a collection slowly.

A common mistake beginers make is thinking a high magnification eyepiece will improve the views. It’s not that simple and too much magnification will result in poor blurry views. There is an optimum magnification but this depends on how good the seeing is as well as the scope.

And most important ask plenty of questions before buying any equipment as there is plenty of advice on SGL. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, Thank you for that information. That does help a lot, Do you suggest any lens based on my telescope that I should buy? How does one decide what the best lens would be based on the telescope configuration? 

Is there a must have accessory that you suggest would help with the experience?

How do you make the most of the telescope if there aren't any planets that are easily visible?

Thank you!!

Hi there Arpit and welcome to SGL.  Planets will always look like a small pea in most amateur telescopes, but don't worry about this, as with Jupiter and Saturn you can see lots and plenty to please!  John above is right, it is a common mistake to think higher magnification will help, often the opposite is true.  Do not buy that Celestron kit, you'll end up only using one eyepiece (the 32mm), you certainly won't use the filters.   Just one last note, try and buy any kit from a dedicated astronomy supplier such as this forum's sponsers, you will get good advice and great service.  Clear skies!

• Thanks 1

You might consider trying a barlow lens which will double the focal length of your scope, and double the magnification of any eyepiece. The 2X Skywatcher Delux barlow is very good and not expensive. Doubling the magnification though will greatly increase the vibration of your mount. Mars will increase in size and get better placed as the year goes on, but your wobbly mount may be what lets you down. An AZ4 or EQ5 mount would hold your scope much steadier.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Arpit Jain said:

How does one decide what the best lens would be based on the telescope configuration? 

Is there a must have accessory that you suggest would help with the experience?

How do you make the most of the telescope if there aren't any planets that are easily visible?

Hi Arpit, it is best to get used to using the eyepieces you already have before you consider buying anything new, get some experience under your belt and learn how to 'see'.

There is no 'must have' accessory except an open mind and careful eyes.

There is plenty else to see in the night sky - double stars and star clusters are among some of the great objects.  Plus nebulae and galaxies to name but a few.  They are all within reach of your telescope, but be patient.  Good luck! 

Edited by rwilkey
  • Thanks 1

Thank you So much every one, these are such amazing insights. Thank you for your recommendations and I wont be buying the lens set. Are we able to see galaxies with a telescope? I thought that might not be possible. 

Hi and welcome! Good news - you most certainly can see galaxies with that scope. You can see M31 (Andromeda Galaxy) quite easily, this was the first galaxy I had seen when I started out and was mesmerised. It will appear as a faint blob generally, but if you get out to a true dark sky site, it is very good.   And...when you’re at the dark site, many other fainter galaxies are well within reach of your scope.  The Virgo galaxy cluster is a cluster of riches. Have fun! (Half the fun is hunting them down).

Bear in mind that Mars is still very small at the moment, in October in will be at Opposition and much larger so should show more detail. It does generally need fairly high power and good conditions to get the best out of it though.

Your scope is an achromatic doublet so will show some false colour although not a such as some of the faster ones out there (f5) but may not be so good on Mars as a longer focal length, better corrected one but you should still get some nice views.

I would think a 5 or 4mm eyepiece would be worth looking at, giving you x132 and x165 respectively. That should be within the capabilities of the scope.

BST Starguiders come highly recommended, there is a 5mm available in that. The 3.2mm would give just over x200 which may be ok on good nights but perhaps someone who owns the same scope as you could confirm if this is worth it or not.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html