Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12volt adapter

Oke.  Must have been discussed many times but searching for “powersource” doesnt give a lot of information.   

im currently using a 12v 6a (sigaret-out) adapter for my mount, a separate 12v 5a adapter to power the other stuff.  Both adapters stick with dual-lock on the inside of the tripod legs and stays There when the tripod is stored.  

does anyone use a single powersource, lets say 8 ampere?   And with multiple outputs, lets say 2 or 3?    Or do we all struggle with multiple adapters, splitters or pegasus boxes?

im planning to mount 2 extra 2.1x5.5 outputs in the housing of the biggest 12v adapter i own, but before drilling the holes (do it anyway because i think its handy) im curious what other single device options are available?   The 12v to 5 or 9 is another story and doesn’t require big equipment, its the multiple 12v what im not sure about.  

Personally I use a Nevada 12V supply - I take the 6A cigarette socket for the mount, and use the screw terminals to secure some cable to power the rest of my setup (camera, PC, etc).

Getting some silicone wire and some spring terminal blocks can help a lot to quickly make up power distribution runs very cheaply - I just take 12V into a pair of blocks (one -, one +) and then "fan out" from there to all the consumers, with a further pair of blocks at the focuser to feed everything there with only one cable run up the telescope. Either hack the ends off the existing cables or buy the required 2.1mm DC jacks or whatever it is your equipment takes for input power.

12V to 5V DC step-down converters are easy enough to take into such a setup, and it's quick and easy to reconfigure.

Thx. Had to google for it, the Nevada supply, first result was the FLO website😎.   I believe its a good and solid power supply. I’m only more fan of a supply that will stay on the inside of a tripod leg. Not only for transportation in and out, but also the wiring etc.  I prefer to plug and play with one connector. Dont have a observatory or something, have to move in-and outside the house every night.   
But in the end you use the nevada as a one for all power supply? No need for a second one when 8Amps are available from one source?

I just use a 12v leisure battery, it sits under the tripod and supplies all that I need, has plenty of amperes (not sure what the maximum draw is, I've never needed more than about 3 or 4 Amps).  I use an auto socket splitter and a HitecAstro dew heater controller which includes a couple of auxilliary outputs, I used one of these for the mount.  I don't run anything on 5v but there are converter power supplies designed for use in cars that would do the job from a 12v source.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonathan said:

I just use a 12v leisure battery

Yes I probably have to buy a battery sooner or later.  For now im just hobbying from the backyard with enough power outlets around me.   And even with A battery i would still love to have a single source for All the equipment.   I have a 6a power supply thats going to be bored and put as much dc socket in as possible.   Its a very wide and open case so plenty of room.   Maybe even room for a dc buck converter to make a usb 5v outlet.   Its just a shame i cant find a 220v-12v supply that has multiple outputs, ánd small enough to be permanent attached to one of the tripod legs

1856CD4D-9AF2-443B-871D-E60A6424B168.jpeg

E3855172-C616-4DCC-AA0C-364E3B90E472.jpeg

Edited by Robindonne

I’m completely illiterate when it comes to amps/voltage etc 😀 so apologies if this isn’t what you’re looking for but I use one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank-pro.html

It has one cigarette port which via a socket splitter powers an EQ6 R Pro and a dew heater controller supplying two dew heaters. There is no dip in performance and I’ve used it for up to 6 hours with a half charge remaining 

It also comes with a strap to secure it to the tripod leg....it is very small and light

Downside-Quite expensive!

• Thanks 1

Wow indeed an expensive battery.  Its price is based on the same philosophy of all other astro gear🙄.   But good to know its easy mounted on a tripod leg.   Do you know if it has some sort of bypass function? To skip the battery when the charge cable is connected, and go straight to the outputs? Then maybe its a good combined power supply for both 220v to 12 / 5 volt connections, and the handiness of a battery.  

Hallo Robindonne,

The way you are set up with two or more power supplies is in fact the best way to avoid brown-outs and interferences.

Personally I use 3 power supplies: 1 for the mount alone; 1 for the cameras and USB hub power and 1 for dew control and auxiliaries 
My mount gets power directly and the other two are combined in a double power hub. The cigarette lighter plugs are a bad solution i.m.h.o. because the central contact is spring loaded and the contact area on the tip is minimal. Meant for lighting cigarettes, not for powering astro gear. Enough better solutions available.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

The way you are set up with two or more power supplies is in fact the best way to avoid brown-outs and interferences.

Hm yes im starting to think you’re right.  Although im wondering how its done when they’re in the field or somewhere outside having only one battery(or do they use multiple batteries?).  Searching for options i came across posts about all kinds of issues using 1 power supply, from low voltage/amps to ground loops and problems with cameras etc.  Maybe i have to forget about 1 power supply and get 2 or 3 small 5Amps Power supplies.   

On 16/06/2020 at 15:17, Robindonne said:

Hm yes im starting to think you’re right.  Although im wondering how its done when they’re in the field or somewhere outside having only one battery(or do they use multiple batteries?).  Searching for options i came across posts about all kinds of issues using 1 power supply, from low voltage/amps to ground loops and problems with cameras etc.  Maybe i have to forget about 1 power supply and get 2 or 3 small 5Amps Power supplies.   

I'm not sure why there would be problems using a single leisure battery though, those things usually have a lot of amp hours as they are designed to run with an inverter to act as 240v in a caravan, with multiple outlets and such.  Just skip the inverter and attach your 12v devices and a buck converter for 5v directly, attach as many 5v devices as you want (that the buck converter is able to handle, usually they will be limited in the amps output, add more buck converters if necessary), I really don't think it will harm or go over the battery's capabilities to provide enough amps.  Have two leisure batteries if there's a chance of draining a single battery during a really long imaging session, amp hours will likely be the only limiting factor (there are some huge leisure batteries out there though!)

The problems may occur if using a single mains-powered source, as that will be limited in terms of amps output.  The other thing I don't like about mains is the possibility of water ingress when there's dew on the ground, waterproofing will be necessary and I'd just rather not have to worry about that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, jonathan said:

I'm not sure why there would be problems using a single leisure battery though

No more because some commented about interfering issues between equipment powered from 1 source