Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star alignment Synscan laptop

Hello,

I am trying to get my head around  star alignment when I connect my laptop to my Synscan without the hand controller. I have the EQ5 synscan upgrade. If I star align with the hand controller and then plug in the laptop to the synscan directly (not the hand controller) will the settings be retained? or is it better to directly connect the laptop to the hand controller?

Thanks

D

I think everything is saved in the handset so taking it out of the loop and plugging a laptop into the mount will mean you lose everything you’ve previously done with the handset .....if that’s what your question is 

Edited by Jiggy 67

1 hour ago, dazza007 said:

Hello,

I am trying to get my head around  star alignment when I connect my laptop to my Synscan without the hand controller. I have the EQ5 synscan upgrade. If I star align with the hand controller and then plug in the laptop to the synscan directly (not the hand controller) will the settings be retained? or is it better to directly connect the laptop to the hand controller?

Thanks

D

If understand correctly, you are using an EQ5 mount with Synscan upgrade kit?? I have the same. If what you are trying to do, is what you describe then it will not work. 
You cannot start your mount and star align with the Synscan handset, then disconnect and plug in a pc/laptop.

You have to operate your mount via the Synscan hand control unit or buy from FLO the dedicated cable, to connect your mount to a computer using the Ascom platform and the Eqmod driver. The cable is Lynx Astro Eqmod.

Just today I have been through this ordeal something akin to the Spanish Inquisition! Don’t be put off as when it works, IT WORKS.

The trial by ordeal is as follows- Order correct usb cable for your mount via FLO. Don’t be tempted by alternatives as the quality is important.

Make sure the laptop you are using is Microsoft. Search by your preferred engine “Ascom” and download the Ascom platform. I don’t know the blurb but it is a common interface that allows Astro programs to talk to each other.

Once you have the Ascom platform downloaded, search your preferred engine for EQMOD. Be careful, the top line is for Ascompad, you don’t want that. Next line down is what you need, Eqmod. Be aware that you click on Eqmod but the download button is still for Ascompad. THEY DONT MAKE IT EASY!

Once you have downloaded EQMOD you are in the pit of hell fire. At this point you need a good YouTube tutorial on a separate tablet and some Scotch if you are eighteen or older.
The biggest deal with the whole thing, after connecting your mount with the special cable and powering up the mount direct, no handset, is to find out your COM PORT number.

Now I am on Windows ten, so to find this I RIGHT CLICK the Microsoft start button bottom left. A box appears with a big list. Device controller. Half way down USB, double click and it will show you the com port number your cable is assigned.

Get out of there and click your start button for your list of programs. Being Windows 10 EQMOD is at the top as a newly downloaded app. Toolbox is what you want! But not yet.    You have to right click on it, select ‘more’ and select administrator. That’s right, you knew that, you were telepathic or part of the design team that created this secret mythical world.

Now you are in to the EQMOD program. Almost there.... you must be joking. More mind reading.  Hit the driver button and ensure that in COM PORT you select the number you found earlier. Didn’t wright it down? Go back start again.

Remembered COM number great. Keep following that YouTube tutorial because you cannot get a refund on the next two days of your life.

M

• Thanks 1

Thank  you indeed.

I made an EQMOD cable and have the software slewing the scope. Fortunately working in IT helps.

I had a brain freeze evidently when it came back I googled EQMOD and star alignment and found the EQMOD manual which is a good read! Hoping to practice all this as I haven't had a clear night in over a month! Cheers for the help!

If you align with the HC then only the HC knows where it is. The mount doesn't know anything about where it is and the HC is acting like your computer.

So plugging the mount into the computer instead of connecting the HC to the mount, means that you have to start again.

Simon

8 hours ago, dazza007 said:

Hello,

Thanks

D

I have recently purchased the SynScan WiFi adapter, and download the SynScan App to your terminal

Have attached pic of adapter, and screen print of the App

John

SynScan WiFi adapter.jpeg

Screen print SynScan App.jpg

Edited by cletrac1922

On 14/06/2020 at 21:04, Marvin Jenkins said:

Make sure the laptop you are using is Microsoft. Search by your preferred engine “Ascom” and download the Ascom platform. I don’t know the blurb but it is a common interface that allows Astro programs to talk to each other.

I was going through the same challenges last week and finally managed to install EQMOD driver and INDI on Linux Mint as I dont have a Windows PC

For those who are interested just follow the guidelines here https://www.indilib.org/devices/mounts/eqmod.html

Edited by AstroMuni