Software for MacOs

8 minutes ago, JMarkJ said:

Hi, are all the usual software like registax good with MacBooks? or has anyone got some recommendations ?

thanks

Some, but not that many work with Mac unfortunately (I use Mac for everything, but all my imaging stuff is PC).  If you run Mac you may be better using Bootcamp and stick Windows on.

Some of the processing software packages work on Mac, such as Pixinsight, but still not that many.

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Some, but not that many work with Mac unfortunately (I use Mac for everything, but all my imaging stuff is PC).  If you run Mac you may be better using Bootcamp and stick Windows on.

Some of the processing software packages work on Mac, such as Pixinsight, but still not that many.

ok thanks, looks like id probably be better firing my old windows "98 laptop up again which i use to use before......

Stars/Ekos for automation and image capture. Free. I use it and like it.

Pixinsight for pre and post processing. Costs around £200. Still on the trial but a definite buy for me.

Gimp for anything else post processing. Free. Not really found the need to use it.

Stellarium for automation. Free. Only really used it as a planetarium but its very good for that.

Siril for pre processing. Free. Tried it and didn't like it.

Astap, same as with Siril.

I used Siril but I was finding it a bit complicated to use and I have Stellerium also. I have since installed Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro and now trying out Deep Sky Stacker. Plus, it opens up a few more programs I could look at that are otherwise unavailable on Mac OS X. The only slight issue is the small in built SSD with the partition sizes needed. Bootcamp says it need 40GB to install Windows 10 but it seems it is actually closer to 80GB for a success install.

Edited by rob_r

Unfortunately the majority of tools are Windows based. I process everything on my Mac but capture, plate solve, camera control, etc on a inexpensive Windows 10 machine. It is what it is. That said Nebulosity and PHD may do what you want and both run on a Mac. Another (expensive) option is The Sky X suite. It handles everything for you in terms of the mechanics of image capturing, plate solving, and camera control but as I said it is expensive. You will have to order it from the US and it will cost you £826 to purchase plus £78 per year. 

16 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Stars/Ekos for automation and image capture. Free. I use it and like it.

Pixinsight for pre and post processing. Costs around £200. Still on the trial but a definite buy for me.

Gimp for anything else post processing. Free. Not really found the need to use it.

Stellarium for automation. Free. Only really used it as a planetarium but its very good for that.

Siril for pre processing. Free. Tried it and didn't like it.

Astap, same as with Siril.

ver helpful. thanks

If using MAC

I see Sirii has already been listed for stacking, plenty do use it and like it

StarTools is also available for MAC and is under £40 for DSO and if you can't use registax then StarTools can process the final planet/Moon image.