Atik 314 revival NGC 6888

assouptro

My Atik 460 is faulty following a “knock” it took and has been shipped to Lisbon to have a new PCB installed. (What happens after Brexit??)
Whilst it has been away, we had some lovely clear skies (Typical!) but the wind was gusting 20-30mph!

I decided to dust off my Atik 314l+ so I could still play. 

Although the conditions weren’t great and I only get about 2 hours of twilight here at this time of year I am quite pleased with what that lovely 1.2mp camera can do! 

Connected to my Revelation Astro ed 100 f6 it’s under sampled but gives a nice fov for some DSO’s like NGC 6888.

Enough waffle....

4C5AE14E-022D-42E4-A8C3-12387CCB7171.thumb.jpeg.46ddc4cdb1922b167c03e6c18c4d0072.jpeg

15 min rgb 3min subs for the stars with 7 hour 20min ha 6.5 hr 20min Oiii  with darks and flats.

Acquisition, Artemis 

Registration and stacking App

Put together in photoshop with noise reduction via topaz DeNoise AI

Thanks for looking 

Bryan  

• Like 22

13 minutes ago, Starflyer said:

They really are outstanding cameras, small sensor but seriously sensitive and much underrated.

Great image btw.

Thanks for the comment!

I have fallen back in love with this little underrated workhorse! 

Just need some more clear skies but it looks like summer is here!! 

• Like 1

Lovely image.

(I have an old Atik16hr, and it is as good as the day I bought it.  Another camera of similar vintage has suffered terribly - probably from cosmic ray at a guess.)

8 minutes ago, carastro said:

Really good, I had one of these for several years and it gave me good service.

Carole 

Hi Carole! 
I knew there was a reason I didn’t sell my 314 when I got the 460.

I was upset when the 460 developed a fault and we had clear skies but at least I had the 314 to play with, I wasn’t expecting to achieve much but it has surpassed my expectations and reminded me not to leave it in the cupboard! 

cheers 

Bryan 

• Like 1

I used Atik314 and 460 together for quite some time as a dual rig, but I found on one of my scopes I was undersampling with the 314 and getting blobby stars especially in luminance, and I couldn't swap with the other scope as it was the only way round that the FOV would match.  So I sold the Atik314 and bought an Atik428 instead.   

All are great cameras.

Carole 

6 minutes ago, don4l said:

Lovely image.

(I have an old Atik16hr, and it is as good as the day I bought it.  Another camera of similar vintage has suffered terribly - probably from cosmic ray at a guess.)

Thanks Don 

It has been fun using it again and I think I might keep it out for a while! 

cheers 

Bryan 

33 minutes ago, carastro said:

I used Atik314 and 460 together for quite some time as a dual rig, but I found on one of my scopes I was undersampling with the 314 and getting blobby stars especially in luminance, and I couldn't swap with the other scope as it was the only way round that the FOV would match.  So I sold the Atik314 and bought an Atik428 instead.   

All are great cameras.

Carole 

Yeah, the 428 has the same sized pixels as the 460 I think and could be a useful camera! 
Recently I have been looking at the 490 as its smaller Pixels could be a good match with my smaller scope and lenses as we enter into summer and autumn  

oh to have an endless budget and cloudless skies!! 

9 minutes ago, tomato said:

Great result, a 314 OSC was my first Astro CCD camera, you have reminded me how good it is.

Thanks for the comment tomato
I have toyed with the idea of a OSC camera as we don’t always get the clear skies needed for several nights with filters but I love narrow band imaging and would be concerned by the loss of sensitivity due to the Bayer Matrix. 
Do you still use or own a OSC camera?  
Cheers 

Bryan