Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What does mpcc mean in explore scientific’s products?

Does anyone know what the explore scientific mpcc actually is?

Does mpcc mean multipurpose coma corrector?

i bought one that has a 2” connection on the telescope side and a canon connection on the camera side.  Removing the canon mount leaves a t-thread.  And removing the 2” tube leaves only a glass correcting thing. 
Sold in this setup as flattener for using a canon dslr with refractors.  But does the mpcc mean that the same base can be sold/used as coma corrector for my newton?  And therefore is the same product?

Edited by Robindonne

4 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

As per the documentation

mpcc_e.pdf 406.29 kB · 4 downloads

Yes thats what i thought.  But it could indeed mean curvature like mentioned here by alacant.  This is baaders short for coma corrector.  But it could be correct that explore scientific uses cc as short for curvature corrector 

Edited by Robindonne

18 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Multi Purpose Curvature Corrector.

A 1.0x field flattener designed for refractors.

HTH

I think you are one of the people who knows the answer on this: what happens when the backfocus isnt the same as mention in the description?   Does it harm the whole image?

4 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Does it harm the whole image?

Yes. More so as you move away from centre frame. Best to stick to what the manufacturer states.

Cheers

Edited by alacant

2 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

confused

MPCC: explore scientific multi purpose curvature corrector.

MPCC: Baader multi purpose coma corrector.

AFAICT, the op wanted to know the difference.

Cheers

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, alacant said:

Yes. Stick to what the manufacturer states.

Cheers

No ok i understand.  But asked it because while searching the es site for the description of the mpcc, i read some reviews about the lack of information given with their products, and one person even wrote to have used the es mpcc, for a long time, with 45 mm instead of the 55 mm in the later added description.   I guess he must have never noticed something.

The FFEDAPO-01 is designed to work with Explore Scientific's Achromatic Doublet Series (DAR),Essential Series and FCD100 Series telescopes with diameters of 80 mm, 102 mm and 127 mm. The device is threaded so a 2-inch filter can be installed.

What Scope are you planning on using it on

I bought it initially for my zenithstars.  Old models.  71 and 80 mm.   But the confusion started when searching for a coma corrector for a Quattro 8”.   Among the options i saw a baader mpcc.  And read that it means multipurpose comacorrector.  The first thing i thought was, “wait i have a mpcc”😬.   But my confusion and misreading caused also some confusion among you.  Sorry.  So bought an es mpcc for the right purpose and wondered if it could be used with a newton.  Im afraid not

Edited by Robindonne

13 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

used with a newton.  Im afraid not

Hi

Did you try it? You may be pleasantly surprised.

Backfocus: mpcc Baader, 57.5mm. MPCC ES, 55mm.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

Lol sorry for all these burning questions!   No I didn’t try it.  But i sure will.  My question about what happens when not using the adviced backfocus was kind of related to that try.  Because when i use the “es” mpcc im far away from that 55 mm backfocus.   Dont have a guidescope so have to stick my oag between them.  I then end up 60 mm orso from the curvature corrector.    But i will try it anyway.  Curious whats coming out when not sticking to the rules.  

Edited by Robindonne
  • Like 1