NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OSC + Quad Band filters - Please share your results

Hi All,

I'm in a position where i may need to purchase a new camera and i'm toying with the idea of a OSC as my main interest is galaxies & comets. I would however like to still be bale to do some narrowband and whilst i appreciate that this would be at a much lower resolution than mono chips - I'm very interested to see the result people are getting using these new Quad band filters with their OSC camera.

To help me make my decision, I would love to see results that people have managed to get using these filters as i never trust marketing images supplied by the manufacturers.

Rich.

HI Rich, i use a OSC also but mianly in broad band using a baader moon and sky glow filter. I also have the Altair Astro Quadband filter and these last couple of nights I have been trying  it out .This pic is of 15x 5min exposures of the Dumbell Neb. I still have to nail the focus though. My first impressions, I think I will be using it quite a bit.These last two nights have been a good test with the brightness of the moon in play. Hope this is of help.

OOUK ODK12"......A A 294C ProTec. osc..

Bob.

DUMBELL.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

Hi All,

I'm in a position where i may need to purchase a new camera and i'm toying with the idea of a OSC as my main interest is galaxies & comets. I would however like to still be bale to do some narrowband and whilst i appreciate that this would be at a much lower resolution than mono chips - I'm very interested to see the result people are getting using these new Quad band filters with their OSC camera.

To help me make my decision, I would love to see results that people have managed to get using these filters as i never trust marketing images supplied by the manufacturers.

Rich.

Get a duel band or tri band Quad band is largely useless in my opinion as Ha and SII both fall entiarly within the red channel. You get nothing more than a tri band would give you.

Edited by Adam J

These are some of mine from various scopes, but using a  QHY8pro  OSC  ( which has an APS size sensor CCD....probably not as sensitive as the new CMOS stuff)  and an

Optolong enhance filter.   ( Ha ,O3 and Hb ).

dumb.thumb.jpg.3c06b75321d64abddd46775187234580.jpg  317100893_EVeil.thumb.jpg.8893008f3980f9f86e7db656ecc0d640.jpg

NAN.thumb.jpg.dda44ef3bf1323e911fda5f0629173d1.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Michael,

At the moment i dont know as i've having a nightmare just to get UPS to pick up my camera to be able to send it to QSI /Atik.  from the amount of smoke that came from the camera i'm not hopeful, hence expecting the worse and just trying to see what my options are, and hence the post so i can see real world results from people who have OSC cameras with Quad Band Filters, so i can decide of i want to stick mono or go down the OSC route for simplicity.

• Like 1

Hi , sorry i have nothing to compare realy but i think i can say that my other filter i use,  [ a baader moon and skyglow ]  i don't think  would show the fine outer blue halo at such a short total exposure time of 1hr 15min. . I am not 100% sure on that though as i have not tried it.

Bob.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2020 at 18:17, uhb1966 said:

is there any way to show us a with/without picture regarding these filters? Asking for a friend ;)   

Not that easy, as I tend to maximise the exposure potential of any image I take.  It would be an interesting comparison, but only if I were a gear tester or had Atacama style conditions   ;) 

Using one to two hours of prime-time clear skies to generate a possibly  inferior  ( maybe, perhaps...more than likely ?? )   image of the same object is one for the purists.

Anyway... looking at my past files....

1167078817_M27C8HDQHY8105mins4thMay2020.thumb.jpg.c597ffa627554989086690651f9494c3.jpg 2048565709_M27C8HDQHY8120minsEnhance.thumb.jpg.d516e6008a4bd48977b90723bed0ee68.jpg

LHS..  C8 Edge  QHY8 OSC  105mins exposure with light pollution filter. IDAS-D1

RHS  C8 Edge  QHY8 OSC  120mins exposure with Enhance  ( slightly different cropping).

Obviously condtions / Moon Phase / scope collimation /  object altitude will be different for each photo, so not exactly a fair comparison.

Hope this sheds some light.

Sean.

• Like 2

On 03/06/2020 at 14:45, Northernlight said:

Francis - Are those Halo's around the bright starts internal reflections due to the filter ?

Yes they're caused by the filter but for a reason: the only way I could fit the filter at the time of shooting these images was with the wrong side to the sky. The spikes within the halos are from the cables to the camera crossing the light path.

Here's an image with the IDAS NB-1 round the right way, the spikes from the cables are still there but the halos have gone:

M81_M82_area_PI.png

Edited by fwm891
image added
  • Like 1

On 03/06/2020 at 14:41, fwm891 said:

I use an ASI294MC Pro and an IDAS NB-1 filter quite often

Couple of my images:

Is that filter rated to work at F2? Might explain the halos. 

11 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Is that filter rated to work at F2? Might explain the halos. 

Not quite they don't commit themselves to f2 but show examples at f2.8, at f2 the H-alpha end suffers a little to me but playing with the processing seems to revive it. I'm thoroughly enjoying this scope/filter combo.