NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to buy as a 1st Astrophotoprahy setup ?

Sorry people this has probably been asked many times, but I would appreciate some help!

I'm completely new to all of this - I'd like to buy some basic but capable equipment to start with  

Budget is around £500-£600 

Question is:

Skywatcher Explorer 200p + EQ5 mount VS Celestron Astromaster 130EQ 

If I buy the 200p, I'll probably just start out by taking long exposure pictures on it, with my iPhone! 

If I get the 130EQ, I'd have enough money to buy a budget DSLR as well. 

What would you suggest as my first setup?? How much better is the EQ5 mount compared to the CG3 mount? 

Thanks in advance :) 

I started with a second hand 200p and eq5 with loads of bits and bobs, quickly modified it to GOTO, followed by filter wheel, cooled camera, guide scope, new telescope, then new mount! Good luck, you cant go wrong with the 200p to learn with, robust, easy to use and a good learning tool, but expect to start acquiring more stuff. It can be problematic in any kind of breeze due to its size.

Hi Kenboy, welcome to the forum. Are you interested in deep sky astrophotography or planets? If it’s deep sky astrophotography you are interested in, have you considered something like a Star Adventurer mount? This will leave you some money for a camera and lenses and will be easier to learn with than a long focal length telescope, though obviously you can’t observe with it if that is what you are also planning! 🙂

Second that. Deep sky is a lot harder than you would think; those long exposures mean that any imperfections in the mount wind up very visible in the images. So the classic advice is to go short and fast on the optical train, which means shorter exposures and less magnification of errors, and then plow the money saved into the best mount you can afford. Fast prime camera lenses are a GREAT way to get started, there are plenty of targets which are good at 200mm or less.

• Like 1

Ah thank you for your replies. so many things to consider 😛 , my expectations are realistic though. 

Ideally I'd like to do both visual and AP 

what would you suggest for my budget?? thx :) 

5 hours ago, Kenboy said:

If I buy the 200p, I'll probably just start out by taking long exposure pictures on it, with my iPhone! 

You will need a mount capable of tracking  you are unable to track an item as it has no guiding capabilities in it's raw stage. As it has no motors manual control

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html?currency=1 

maybe look at the SW ED80 or ED72 and a trackable mount if photo's are your ambition

10 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

You will need a mount capable of tracking  you are unable to track an item as it has no guiding capabilities in it's raw stage. As it has no motors manual control

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html?currency=1 

maybe look at the SW ED80 or ED72 and a trackable mount if photo's are your ambition

+ a field flattener.....the budget is well and truly blown.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinnypuppy71 said:

+ a field flattener.....the budget is well and truly blown.

yep the OP needs to decide maybe go down the route of a 130pds but again a trackable mount for astro photo. one has to decide.  visual or photo on a limited budget you cannot do both. Unless someone can come up with an alternative....

• Like 1

If you want something within your budget a lightweight mount like a Star Adventurer, DSLR and camera lenses is the way to go. For example, this is The Heart & Soul at 135mm focal length (RGBHa).

Heart Soul & Double Cluster v26 900.JPG

(This is with a modded DSLR and clip-in Ha filter, capture details are here.)

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 1

Budget is around £500-£600 

Question is:

Skywatcher Explorer 200p + EQ5 mount VS Celestron Astromaster 130EQ 

Not really a good idea - A large scope on a lightweight mount is asking for problems.  Better to have a sturdier mount and a lighter scope.  I'd suggest an HEQ5 Pro and Skywatcher 130PDS.  Excellent for imaging and not bad visually either.

Will go over your budget a little unless you can find second hand.  You will also need some accessories, like a collimator, a guidescope and camera and an imaging camera once you get into it properly.

Carole   

Ok thanks for your replies!! 

I think a 130 mm scope with a sturdy mount, would be the best initial setup for me - as I would like to both visual and AP

I can buy a separate Skywatcher 130PDS OTA as you mentioned!

But is there anything cheaper than a HEQ5 mount, that would also return good images. 

Edited by Kenboy

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Not really a good idea - A large scope on a lightweight mount is asking for problems.  Better to have a sturdier mount and a lighter scope.  I'd suggest an HEQ5 Pro and Skywatcher 130PDS.  Excellent for imaging and not bad visually either.

Will go over your budget a little unless you can find second hand.  You will also need some accessories, like a collimator, a guidescope and camera and an imaging camera once you get into it properly.

Carole   

Thanks for the advice 

Would the iOptron SmartEQ GOTO Mount be a good option for a 130p scope? (it's a lot cheaper than HEQ5) 

I believe you really need a eq go to mount for tracking....or.... a skywatcher star adventurer and a small refractor...that'd be a good start . I'm still waiting for a eqm-35 and William optics zenithstar z73 with it's flattener for my first astro set-up....it wasn't a cheap start but still probably very much entry level in astrophotography terms....if you really want to make a good start to it....I'd maybe suggest saving a little extra money until you can manage to get something that will satisfy your needs....if you buy don't buy correctly  in the beginning....disappointment and dissatisfaction with the results of your efforts will soon leed to a lose of interest in the hobby and in the end your hard earned cash.