Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cracking seeing tonight .....

John

My 12 inch scope was cooling while I took part in my society Zoom meeting earlier so once that had finished I could go straight out and observe. The seeing is really steady here currently and the lunar surface a mass of intricate detail

Piling on the magnification, the detail just gets better and stays sharp. Messier and Messier A showing wonderfully at 497x !

Messier is showing it's "tyre tracks" feature across the crater floor. Lovely stuff !

This is an Apollo 15 image of this pair (1 = Messier, 2 = Messier A)

Figure 115 craters Messier and Messier A]

This is my mobile phone snap of a much wider area of the surface:

IMG_20200529_203945.jpg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, John said:

My 12 inch scope was cooling while I took part in my society Zoom meeting earlier so once that had finished I could go straight out and observe. The seeing is really steady here currently and the lunar surface a mass of intricate detail

Piling on the magnification, the detail just gets better and stays sharp. Messier and Messier A showing wonderfully at 497x !

Messier is showing it's "tyre tracks" feature across the crater floor. Lovely stuff !

This is an Apollo 15 image of this pair (1 = Messier, 2 = Messier A)

Figure 115 craters Messier and Messier A]

This is my mobile phone snap of a much wider area of the surface:

IMG_20200529_203945.jpg

What eyepiece were you using? 

5 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

What eyepiece were you using? 

For the image a 7.2 - 21.5 zoom but I don't know what setting it was on - maybe around 15mm ?. The mobile camera was "zoomed" a bit as well to frame the eyepiece exit pupil.

Visually I added a 2.25x barlow which takes the top end to 3.2mm so a touch under 500x with this scope.

I have the Nagler 2-4mm zoom in now on the 3mm setting (530x) for stunning views of the Triesnecker Rilles complex :shocked:

Hello John. I recently bought a Celestron bracket/holder for my android telephone to use at the eyepiece.Just interested to know what app you use please.

Edited by Guest

Same stupendous seeing from my part of the country John. I am using my f15 tonight and loving the views as it tracks superbly over the Hyginus Rille showing the collapse craters remarkably at 439 X.

Unbelievably steady !!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Hello John. I recently bought a Celestron bracket/holder for my android telephone to use at the eyepiece.Just interested to know what app you use please.

I use a crummy old Samsung S3 mini phone, the standard phone app and the cheapest bracket that I could find. It works OK for my snaps but I don't try anything fancy.

15 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Same stupendous seeing from my part of the country John. I am using my f15 tonight and loving the views as it tracks superbly over the Hyginus Rille showing the collapse craters remarkably at 439 X.

Unbelievably steady !!

I'm out with my 102 frac. Hyginus and Triesnecker area.  Steady as she goes. can hardly detect any "wobble< or should that be "wibble" at all.  LOL 

John 

• Like 2

I have great seeing then goes off, very slight high clouds moving through.
And it has got very damp, so the Arthritis is now complaining in my knees!
But worth the pain, the Lunar Observing has been great, but in now.

• Like 2

Not so great here unfortunately. Very nice views still but quite a wobble going on up there. I thought it might be cooling on the Mewlon but I put the Vixen out to compare and that was the same.

Still I saw the tyre tracks in Messier that @John mentioned, and Hyginus and Treisnecker rilles are looking fab.

I can see Armstrong, but not Aldrin and Collins tonight, sure you chaps will be able to. I’m pretty sure I got all three in the Vixen last night, although the latter two were very tricky.

Packed in now, but enjoy all who are still out!

• Like 1

I actually got the telescope partly converted back to visual mode and managed to dig out an eyepiece. Not quite so good here but it was lovely to actually look through things again for the first time in a year or so!

Some lovely detail along the terminator regardless of a little bit of wobble.

• Like 1