SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter in the morning from UK

russ

Decided to take my first astro image for 8 years and first planetary image for 12 years. Decided to have another go spurred on by the approaching favourable Mars opposition in late summer / autumn. Despite its incredibly poor viewing angle from the UK, I settled on Jupiter as the first target.

I must be nuts, up at 2.45am on a work day to image a badly placed planet. Whole thing was an exercise in frustration. Neighbours trees proving a real problem for starters. The only spot i could see Jupiter was the one spot I couldn't see Polaris. So naturally polar alignment was flakey and Jupiter refused to hang around. Seeing was also poor. But after an hour and half i had a handful of movies to process. The best of which produced the image below. Yes I know, not exactly an illustrious return to imaging.... :) 

Kit used:  Skywatcher HEQ5, 200P, Explore 3x barlow (thank Craig), QHY5L-II C. Captured with Sharpcap, stacked in AS3, wavelets in Registax 6 and final tweak in Luminar 4.   

100603647_859235154562128_6587661786823000064_n.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks Alan. Yes feeling the effects right now. More coffee needed!

Also worth adding that i had a quick look at Saturn and that looked majestic. Perhaps the seeing had improved. Visual only but very satisfying.

Edited by russ
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Pretty damn great image for rubbish seeing, iffy PA and poor position.

Many thanks Mark. I think my rustiness to the whole imaging thing may also not have helped. Dead keen to get out again now. Saturday morning ear marked. :) 

• Like 1

I reckon that's a pretty darn good image 😄  What you call poor seeing in Southampton is probably as good or better than I ever get here in the lee of the Pennines.  I've got my fingers crossed for Mars this year, but don't expect to have any acceptable Jupiter images until early December 2024 when it will culminate for me at 57 degrees altitude and 48 arc-secs diameter.

Again, well done!

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1