NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher EQ6R Pro sounding weird

b36lbx

Any EQ6R Pro users out there that can let me know if I should be worried about the grinding noises my mount has at start and end of slewing? Mount is only a couple of weeks old, it's been like this from when I got it, the sound doesn't change even when loaded. For power I use a Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply(13.8V).

Many thanks.

I can’t say what the problem is but I can say that mine doesn’t do that (that I’ve ever noticed) which may confirm there’s a problem. With it only being a couple of weeks old I’d be contacting the supplier for a replacement unless someone else comes up with an easier solution. I know what a pain it can be to send stuff back and get a replacement!

35 minutes ago, KevS said:

Are you controlling the stop/start or is the mount doing that by itself?

K

I am, using the hand controller to illustrate the weird sound at stop/start of slewing.

7 hours ago, Icosahedron said:

Sounds like stepper motor resonance during acceleration and deceleration to me. Apart from ensuring that the supply power is adequate there isn't an easy solution if it is the case.

I am sure the power supply is more than enough for the mount, question is if this resonance sound is a reason to worry or not, at the end of the day the mount is still within the cool down period.

• 7 months later...

Hi,It makes sound like mine.Last night, when the battery suddenly ran out, there was a terrible noise and my motherboard burned down.I am very sorry.This is the second motherboard.No one in my country can fix it.is there a place in England that can fix it?I live in Turkey

IMG_7519.JPG

IMG_7518.JPG

Edited by tayfun

On 24/05/2020 at 17:38, b36lbx said:

I am sure the power supply is more than enough for the mount, question is if this resonance sound is a reason to worry or not, at the end of the day the mount is still within the cool down period.

In general stepper motors will make such a sound at low speeds. You should just make a recording and post it here. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tayfun said:

Thank you,unfortunately, my motherboard is burned.,

From all the spare parts of these mounts, i guess this one is the most needed.   Google will help you when you want to do a diy repair.   Difficult, soldering etc. And hoping that the circuit traces are not damaged.   Best is probably to buy a new one.   

• Like 1

On 22/05/2020 at 14:04, b36lbx said:

Any EQ6R Pro users out there that can let me know if I should be worried about the grinding noises my mount has at start and end of slewing? Mount is only a couple of weeks old, it's been like this from when I got it, the sound doesn't change even when loaded. For power I use a Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply(13.8V).

Many thanks.

IMG_2194.MOV

I can't help but perhaps you'll feel better knowing you aren't alone!

Since I belt modded my EQ6 Pro a couple of months ago the RA has sounded just like that. The hard click as it starts and stops sounds like it's overcoming resistance. When it's just tracking at sidereal rate it sounds creaky or cluncky, as though it's moving in jumps as tension builds than gives, then builds and gives. Guiding is pants and tracking is leaving trails on images.

So I took it apart again this afternoon. Completely stripped the RA axis down to components and carefully reassembled. Every individual component is fine. But even with the worm completely disengaged from the worm gear, so only the belt and worm are moving, it makes the same kind of noise just less resonant due to less mass moving. I've tried a different power supply just in case. No improvement.

So it's all back together and tuned as accurately as possible and things seem less bad, but not exactly "better". Still sounds "clicky". It never used to be like that before the mod, just the gears whirring as expected.

I'm now of the opinion that it's the stepper motor, or how it's being driven. But it seems too much of a coincidence that it started directly after completing the belt mod. There surely must be a connection in my case. I believe the EQ6 R is belt driven too. Maybe something to do with the belts too? Varying the tension on mine made zero difference. From too slack to "surely not that tight?" and everything in between. No difference. :(

I'm going to star test it again and see how that goes. If that is no good then I'm out of ideas.   

I'll watch your progress with interest but if you go down the warranty rout I'll never know!! :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robindonne said:

From all the spare parts of these mounts, i guess this one is the most needed.   Google will help you when you want to do a diy repair.   Difficult, soldering etc. And hoping that the circuit traces are not damaged.   Best is probably to buy a new one.   

Its beacause SW place no current and reverse voltage protection on their boards and this one has a none standard aviation connection so everyone messes it up and blows the board up.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1