NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Having a bit of teething trouble getting dovetail and Mount to marry up

Hi there,

ive recently purchased a used Orion Optics CT 8 ( with dovetail for neq6 Mount ) and a EQ6r pro Mount. When I tried putting them together I had a bit of an issue , namely that shown in the picture. Coming from a CPC scope, dovetails are a new thing to wrap my head around and I’m certain I’m being a bit simple but this surely isn’t the correct fitting? See pic, the dovetail doesn’t sit correctly and seems to foul on the larger surface preventing a better contact? 

have I got the wrong dovetail as it seems or is there a simple adjustment I can make to resolve my issue? 

thanks one and all!! Clear skies!! 

Andrew 

0746DC78-2D7F-4269-9D2B-40D65A0C19DD.jpeg

Looks like you either need to open the clamp some more or it’s bottoming out with the plate the dovetail is fitted to on saddle in which case it would need spacing out I’d say the second option looks to be correct 

Edited by garryblueboy

Looks like it has been setup for a vixen saddle and the vixen dovstail bar is being stopped from fitting by the wide plate on the tube rings. Simplest solution would just be to get a Losmandy dovetail bar and replace the vixen one.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-losmandy-type-d-series/adm-losmandy-style-universal-dovetail-bars.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Looks like you either need to open the clamp some more or it’s bottoming out with the plate the dovetail is fitted to on saddle in which case it would need spacing out I’d say the second option looks to be correct 

Yes - very much the case, it seems to be fouling on the wider plate closest to the OTA which I wouldn’t expect for the correct dovetail? It is a Vixsn dovetail which I thought should fit fine but maybe not! Thanks for the advice!!

As said above the Losmandy "D" size plate is the best answer.  You won't have the fit issue and they are wider so it will handle the weight better.

In the mean time you could put a spacer between the flat plate and the V size dovetail plate so that it would reach.

My $.02

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak