NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First scope question.....................sorry

Hi,
This is my first post, so please forgive me for asking a question that has probably been asked a thousand times. 

I've spent a couple of days researching, reading and watching videos, but I am struggling to decide on a scope for my needs. 

I'm on a budget so my choices are limited, but as a complete noob to this hobby, I don't want to go blowing a fortune on 'the best' scope.

Currently I'm only looking to view the moon, visible planets and maybe a DSO if it's possible with the scopes below. I'm not too worried about astro-photography at the moment, and if I did progress into this, it will be a few years down the road.

So, with the above in mind I've narrowed it down to.........

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube-dobsonian-telescope.html

The 130 has good reviews and is small. I quite like the idea of a small scope for portability and this one is apparently easy to set up. I'm not sure about having to wait for it to acclimatise before being able to use it, and the need for collimation. Admittedly, I haven't looked into the process of collimation as yet.  

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-startravel-80-table-top-telescope.html

I like the idea again of the portability of this scope. It is lightweight and until I invest in a 'proper' tripod, it will sit on my sturdy photography tripod. I also like the ability to use the scope for nature/landscape viewing, although this is not my primary use/need for the scope.

I'm well and truly stuck, I came very close to hitting the buy button on the 130, but keep thinking that maybe a refactor would just as good and a little more versatile.

A couple of other choices could be https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-telescopes/skywatcher-skymax-90-ota.html but without a tripod, I'm not sure it is a good idea. Or a https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/bresser-messier-ar-80600-az-nano-telescope.html but I wanted to limit myself to £150 if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice, it will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Andy,my first scope was the heritage 130p and its a cracking scope,plenty of collimation vids on youtube,thats how i researched it and also 130p scope reviews on there too. i`ve still got the scope but upgraded to a skyliner 200p dob...and i`m seeing a lot more with the new scope but as a grab n go scope you can`t go wrong with the 130p...just remember to put it on a table...or else you`ll be on your hands n knees trying to look through the eyepiece 😄...clear skies .

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the hobby.  You’ll have many different answers to this as everyone has their views. There isn’t a right or wrong answer really.  My vote would be for a dobsonian reflector for a few reasons. 

1. You don’t want to do astrophotography 

2. Reflectors give best bang for buck in terms of aperture per £ and whilst collimating has to be learned, once the skill is acquired it’s pretty easy and often only needs tweaking.

3. Dob mounts are easy but you do have to get into the swing of moving them - again an acquired skill but easily learned. 

For your budget you could consider a used instrument and possibly 200mm aperture, although you may lose a bit on portability, you may future proof a bit because 200mm aperture is pretty much a scope for life.  I have no allegiance to this one on Astrobuysell - of course currently social distancing and location may prevent this choice as you would have to collect. Used examples come up here on this site as well. 

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=158974

Your original skywatcher heritage 130 gets good reviews but I haven’t used one so can’t comment as to how good they are. 

These are just my opinions and as I say, you will have many words of wisdom from other members

Steve 

• Like 1

Thanks both for the replies. I get the reasons for the bigger scopes and I'm aware GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) could take hold, but for now I'm happy to stay small.

Saying that, I know where there's a 150 Dob for sale locally. The one in your link is a little far to travel.

So 2 votes for the Dob so far :)

3rd vote for a Dob. If you can stretch that budget by a bit more then the Skywatcher Skyliner 150p is going to do better for you. In general 150mm is the entry point for new astronomers to really see things. It will give you room to grow beyond the planets and the moon without having to buy another scope. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Andy0306 said:

Thanks both for the replies. I get the reasons for the bigger scopes and I'm aware GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) could take hold, but for now I'm happy to stay small.

Saying that, I know where there's a 150 Dob for sale locally. The one in your link is a little far to travel.

So 2 votes for the Dob so far :)

Andy, sounds like the 150 Dob in whatever form is the best route to go. Hope we’ve helped. Check out that local one, you may get an absolute bargain.

Steve 

Speaking as someone who already has a range of telescopes and seen plenty through them, I do admire my little 70mm refractor for it's ease of use and very solid views.  True, it won't show as much as a 150P reflector, but what it does show it shows brilliantly.  It will happily sit on a decent camera tripod or an EQ mount, and doubles as a decent spotting scope when coupled with a 45degree erecting diagonal (which came with it for just this purpose).  If you find yourself with a few quid to spare later on then consider the refractor as a secondary grab-and-go scope, they cost about £80 from Amazon (includes possibly the flimsiest tripod ever made, probably better to hand-hold the scope!  But the included padded backpack is very handy).

Edited by jonathan

9 hours ago, jonathan said:

Speaking as someone who already has a range of telescopes and seen plenty through them, I do admire my little 70mm refractor for it's ease of use and very solid views.  True, it won't show as much as a 150P reflector, but what it does show it shows brilliantly.  It will happily sit on a decent camera tripod or an EQ mount, and doubles as a decent spotting scope when coupled with a 45degree erecting diagonal (which came with it for just this purpose).  If you find yourself with a few quid to spare later on then consider the refractor as a secondary grab-and-go scope, they cost about £80 from Amazon (includes possibly the flimsiest tripod ever made, probably better to hand-hold the scope!  But the included padded backpack is very handy).

Thanks for the input. It came down to a choice of the 150 dob or a Celestron Omni 102 XLT. As the dob got the most votes, I went with it, but may still get a refractor in the future.

12 hours ago, Andy0306 said:

If all goes to plan, I'll be picking up a 150p tomorrow. Once I get it home, I'll start the panicking 😅

Don't panic about collimation. There's so much apparently conflicting advice out there, it seems a bit daunting. But as long as you have a little mechanical ability it's pretty straightforward, once you see it in the flesh and you can get your head around what it is you are trying to do.

Don't rush down the path of buying all the expensive collimation accessories at first. I've managed to get it done with just a basic £9 collimation cap. After you have tried a few times, you will know better what extras you will need. Lot's of good advice available on SGL. And ask the owner what they use - and will they be supplying it with the scope?

Do you know what eyepieces it comes with?

10 hours ago, Pixies said:

Don't panic about collimation. There's so much apparently conflicting advice out there, it seems a bit daunting. But as long as you have a little mechanical ability it's pretty straightforward, once you see it in the flesh and you can get your head around what it is you are trying to do.

Don't rush down the path of buying all the expensive collimation accessories at first. I've managed to get it done with just a basic £9 collimation cap. After you have tried a few times, you will know better what extras you will need. Lot's of good advice available on SGL. And ask the owner what they use - and will they be supplying it with the scope?

Do you know what eyepieces it comes with?

I'm not overly worried about the collimation, well I wasn't until I realised the adjusting screws were missing 🙄 Didn't notice until I got it home. Not a big deal, I can get replacements.

It only had one eyepiece which is a 'Super 10mm' The seller claimed it was almost new, but I suspect they bought it second hand. Apart from the missing screws, it is in very good condition, not a mark on it.

missing collimation screws 😮 

Sure hope the mirror isn't "floating" about in the bottom of the tube especially if transported on its side. Or does it not have a collimatible primary or perhaps a cap covering the bottom end of the tube hiding the screws?

15 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

missing collimation screws 😮 

Sure hope the mirror isn't "floating" about in the bottom of the tube especially if transported on its side. Or does it not have a collimatible primary or perhaps a cap covering the bottom end of the tube hiding the screws?

My mistake, I was expecting to see knurled bolt heads, but there's grub screws inside the threaded holes.............Still learning :)

• Like 1

I have a Cheshire collimation tool, I *think* I know how to use it but I'm one who always doubts my own knowledge!  I have seen laser collimation tools, some swear by them and others can't get on with them, I suppose it's like manual or automatic on a car - horses for courses.

I have a heritage 130p, great telescope. Collimation I just use a collimation cap, can even make you own using an old 35mm film cartridge.

The telescope comes off that base and can be used on a tripod, you may already have an eq clamp and decent ball head. There a standard fitment telescope vixen bar on the telescope.

I also have the ST80. Different type of viewing and crisp stars but you won't see a Jupiter moon transit with it.

Edited by happy-kat

Seems I now have two scopes lol. I got the 150p as above, but realised it's a little too much/big for my needs at the moment. After looking at what was around, I've now ended up with a Celestron XLT Omni AZ 102 as well 😅 

Not sure what I'll do with the 150 at the moment, I'm not sure keeping it will be allowed by the better half :( 

9 minutes ago, Andy0306 said:

Seems I now have two scopes lol. I got the 150p as above, but realised it's a little too much/big for my needs at the moment. After looking at what was around, I've now ended up with a Celestron XLT Omni AZ 102 as well 😅 

Not sure what I'll do with the 150 at the moment, I'm not sure keeping it will be allowed by the better half :( 

One 'scope is never enough! - I have three.

It's when you start looking at exotic eyepieces... then start to worry!