NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Travel set up

I may have posted similar before. Am recently in possession of new small motorhome and looking for travel set up that is economical on space for mainly observing.

So far am thinking of WO zenith star 61 or Orion Starblast 62 or at upper end of budget WO Redcat 51. All with SW Star Adventurer Pro Pack on the tripod of my SW EQ3-2. Would I be able to fit my Telrad to any or all of these. 

Finally wondering about adding star diagonal either WO 1.25 90 deg erecting prism or SW 1.25 dielectic star diagonal. 

Thoughts on above appreciated. 

I'm thinking a 72 ED would work well for you.  I would go with a Rigel QuikFinder to keep it compact.  At 72mm and f/6, there's very little difference between ED and APO levels of correction.

• Like 1

I would suggest the Skywatcher AZ-GTi packages. Affordable, can do either star hopping or GOTO, compact, and good quality for the price. My preference would be the 102mm refractor tube paired with the 127mm Mak. So two scopes one mount. That way you cover the range of options out there in terms of viewing. If you want it for imaging then people are doing very good things with it, a wedge, and something like the Redcat. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi.html

Edited by Dr Strange

Some of those smaller refractors mentioned have their roots in imaging, they have small high quality apertures which when combined with long exposures produce fantastic images.  But visual is not where they are at, the aperture is too small for satisfying DSO hunts.   If it's visual you want, then get the biggest aperture you can get in a small scope.  What about the Heritage 130P with the fold up optics?  It would sit nicely on the EQ3 and not take up much space at all when folded down.  If you also happened to find yourself in the mood for just a quick look, then you can leave it on the little dob mount that comes with it.   Only negative - no terrestrial viewing....when I am on holiday, I also like to look at distant objects on land or sea.....if you also like doing that then a refractor is the way to go....just get one with at least 100mm of aperture to also make DSO hunting enjoyable.  

I agree with Louis, a 72ED is a great compromise between the 61mm and 80mm. Under a dark sky they will show plenty and will sit in a small mount quite happily still. A 100mm is a different class of portability and mount requirement really.

An AZGTi would make a lot of sense too I agree. I have a TS 72ED f6 and think it is excellent. Had lovely view of the Veil and North America Nebula from Wales last hols.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

I agree with Louis, a 72ED is a great compromise between the 61mm and 80mm. Under a dark sky they will show plenty and will sit in a small mount quite happily still. A 100mm is a different class of portability and mount requirement really.

An AZGTi would make a lot of sense too I agree. I have a TS 72ED f6 and think it is excellent. Had lovely view of the Veil and North America Nebula from Wales last hols.

I appear to be incorrect on the smaller fracs then (I have not experienced a small ED one under a dark sky) so I'm pleased to hear that they do perform well in that case.  Good to know!

I've taken my Heritage 103 and AZGTi  as cabin luggage to Argentina and Chile for the Eclipse last year, with tripod in the hold luggage. Worked  a treat in the Atacama Desert  on magnificent Southern DSO's.

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

I appear to be incorrect on the smaller fracs then (I have not experienced a small ED one under a dark sky) so I'm pleased to hear that they do perform well in that case.  Good to know!

With dark skies, good dark adaptation and an OIII filter, the little scopes do amazingly well on the large, faint objects. Of course a 100mm is often better, but the fact that a 72mm can go anywhere with you makes it a winner. The 4 or 5 degree field will fit the whole Veil or NAN in beautifully. Worth a go if you have never done it. It is not a detailed view, but shows the whole object in context which I enjoy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceramus said:

I've taken my Heritage 103 and AZGTi  as cabin luggage to Argentina and Chile for the Eclipse last year, with tripod in the hold luggage. Worked  a treat in the Atacama Desert  on magnificent Southern DSO's.

Good stuff!  130mm of aperture under a proper dark sky can be very, very good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

With dark skies, good dark adaptation and an OIII filter, the little scopes do amazingly well on the large, faint objects. Of course a 100mm is often better, but the fact that a 72mm can go anywhere with you makes it a winner. The 4 or 5 degree field will fit the whole Veil or NAN in beautifully. Worth a go if you have never done it. It is not a detailed view, but shows the whole object in context which I enjoy.

Exactly.  At a given exit pupil, the image will be basically the same as in a larger scope, just less magnified and less detailed.  That has its advantages when viewing large objects as you noted.

• Like 1

My travel scope is the same as Stu, a 72mm TS Apo which is very small and neat and gives lovely views. Excellent build quality as well. Yes 72mm is a bit limited but on holiday its just great to be able to engage with astronomy and not worry about lugging tons of gear about. Its very good for aircraft travel especially. Sometimes I might take the 80mm Equinox but its surprising how much heavier it is and the more room it takes. That 130 newt looks like a good option for car travel. 

• Like 1