NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6 used remotely, anyone?

One of my robotic clients wants to run an Avalon Linear Fast Reverse entirely remotely. This is the version which, electronically and electrically, is pure NEQ6. Same motherboard, motors, handset, etc etc. At present he's trying EQ Mod. Plenty of people run this system remotely, as in 'at the bottom of their garden,' but this may involve an initial input at the telescope to start the session, perhaps? Is it actually possible  to run the system fully remotely? I'm assuming that doing so would involve retaining a memory of the park position in the software on shut-down and then using a plate solve to refine the pointing at the start of the next evening.

I do have a couple of EQ6 mounts and had an Avalon but I never used them remotely so I'm not much help to my client.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks,

Olly

As long as you\they install the relevant Ascom\EqMod system & drivers, and the local control computer is able to 'see' the mount, then any software e.g. Sequence Generator Pro, Sharpcap, APT etc. will be able the drive\control the mount. It then a simple matter to remotely drive that local control computer.

This system could be  Windows based, but could also be Linux|INDI\Kstars type system ...... 

• Like 1

Although mine is at the bottom of the garden (AZEQ6), all I have to do is pull the cover off and the lens cap and just switch the power on. That's pretty much it to be honest, all i have to do is link up to the onboard mini pc (via window remote desktop) where i run SGP Pro, PHD, EQmod, Sharpcap and Stellarium.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2020 at 16:14, ollypenrice said:

One of my robotic clients wants to run an Avalon Linear Fast Reverse entirely remotely. This is the version which, electronically and electrically, is pure NEQ6. Same motherboard, motors, handset, etc etc. At present he's trying EQ Mod. Plenty of people run this system remotely, as in 'at the bottom of their garden,' but this may involve an initial input at the telescope to start the session, perhaps? Is it actually possible  to run the system fully remotely? I'm assuming that doing so would involve retaining a memory of the park position in the software on shut-down and then using a plate solve to refine the pointing at the start of the next evening.

I do have a couple of EQ6 mounts and had an Avalon but I never used them remotely so I'm not much help to my client.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks,

Olly

You have it spot on, Olly.  I used to run my AZ EQ6 in Spain from the UK (now the CEM120) and it is no different to it being at the bottom of the garden.  You will need to have some form of IP power operated switch (I use a LAN connected one and a GSM back-up) if they want to power down. 

As you say, a single slew from the home position on start up, quick blind solve and off you go.  This way you can then ensure your park position is right at the end of any imaging session.  

The only thing to be wary of, is if, for reasons such as a power cut or the mount get knocked, the mount gets "lost" (The mount will think it is at home when the power comes back on) you need to make sure you have some way of monitoring it to make sure you don't run in to issues.  I have a small YI dome camera which sits looking at the mount which I can log on to with my phone, and this has the facitlity to turn off the IR light when imaging.  They are about £30.

Edited by RayD
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RayD said:

You have it spot on, Olly.  I used to run my AZ EQ6 in Spain from the UK (now the CEM120) and it is no different to it being at the bottom of the garden.  You will need to have some form of IP power operated switch (I use a LAN connected one and a GSM back-up) if they want to power down. 

As you say, a single slew from the home position on start up, quick blind solve and off you go.  This way you can then ensure your park position is right at the end of any imaging session.  

The only thing to be wary of, is if, for reasons such as a power cut or the mount get knocked, the mount gets "lost" (The mount will think it is at home when the power comes back on) you need to make sure you have some way of monitoring it to make sure you don't run in to issues.  I have a small YI dome camera which sits looking at the mount which I can log on to with my phone, and this has the facitlity to turn off the IR light when imaging.  They are about £30.

Thanks Ray, the observatory does have permanent webcam coverage and a log of openings and power cuts.

We did some testing yesterday and the park position and limit stops seemed robust. It's now looking more promising.

Olly

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Thanks Ray, the observatory does have permanent webcam coverage and a log of openings and power cuts.

We did some testing yesterday and the park position and limit stops seemed robust. It's now looking more promising.

Olly

Perfect.  If that is covered then it is a doddle to do, even with a simple system (in relative terms) like EQMOD.

• Thanks 1

Olly, I think you just ruined Christmas for me..when you say this

One of my robotic clients wants to run an Avalon Linear Fast Reverse entirely remotely. This is the version which, electronically and electrically, is pure NEQ6. Same motherboard, motors, handset, etc etc.

are you saying they're like a pimped up Neq6?

2 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Olly, I think you just ruined Christmas for me..when you say this

One of my robotic clients wants to run an Avalon Linear Fast Reverse entirely remotely. This is the version which, electronically and electrically, is pure NEQ6. Same motherboard, motors, handset, etc etc.

are you saying they're like a pimped up Neq6?

Absolutely not. The first Avalons just used the NEQ6 motherboard, handset and motors. That's the one I had and I was very happy with it. I only sold it when I was offered a second Mesu on the used market. Actually I really liked the fact that it used these components because they are cheap, effective, reliable, familiar and spares are always available. Mechanically the Avalon has nothing in common with the EQ6. It's beautifully made, CNC machined from solid and has a backlash-free, maintenance-free belt drive system which self-compensates when it wears (which it only does very slowly anyway.) I think it's one of the best mounts available.  It's expensive for its payload but I would expect it to have a very long, trouble free life. You also get excellent backup from the maker.

Olly

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Absolutely not. The first Avalons just used the NEQ6 motherboard, handset and motors. That's the one I had and I was very happy with it. I only sold it when I was offered a second Mesu on the used market. Actually I really liked the fact that it used these components because they are cheap, effective, reliable, familiar and spares are always available. Mechanically the Avalon has nothing in common with the EQ6. It's beautifully made, CNC machined from solid and has a backlash-free, maintenance-free belt drive system which self-compensates when it wears (which it only does very slowly anyway.) I think it's one of the best mounts available.  It's expensive for its payload but I would expect it to have a very long, trouble free life. You also get excellent backup from the maker.

Olly

Phew!

Glad to hear that..

I have an Avalon Linear Reverse using the NEQ6 motherboard. It has never let me down, never lost a sub and I feel inferior to it because I have lost lots of subs . It is an astrophotographers dream.

Steve