NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beautiful prom visible today - 2nd May 2020

Stu

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Thanks Stu and good capture too! Followed its development as a beautiful filaprom. Lovely 3D effect around the limb. Though the active regions are winding down. 

Thanks Mark. I played around for a while and managed a much better image with some surface detail.

One of the Active Regions looked quite striking earlier on but as you say, less so as the day goes on.

476A774E-149D-4451-9A81-9792D886D22F.jpeg

• Like 5

That’s an amazing image Stu! One day - post virus - would love to look through your PST mod. Do you ever have solar observing meets through Walton Astro ?  
Looks like you’re picking up decent surface detail too.  I found seeing difficult today. Much nicer views through 60mm Lunt than 100mm Quark/scope combo.
Actually I’ve got a rather special new solar set up on the way  - from the Isle of Man. Massive gear sell off in preparation......

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stu, there has been a lot of passing cloud here today and I wasn't going to bother with setting the Lunt up until I saw this thread.

Lovely views through the Lunt with the Maxbrights and BCO18 EP pair.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Ade

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

That’s an amazing image Stu! One day - post virus - would love to look through your PST mod. Do you ever have solar observing meets through Walton Astro ?  
Looks like you’re picking up decent surface detail too.  I found seeing difficult today. Much nicer views through 60mm Lunt than 100mm Quark/scope combo.
Actually I’ve got a rather special new solar set up on the way  - from the Isle of Man. Massive gear sell off in preparation......

Thanks Mark.

Before lockdown I certainly had plans to have some evening solar sessions on the Green. Depending on how things go, we can perhaps still look to do something, although scope sharing may be challenging for a while.

The scope was performing very well today, I guess it is just down to conditions. Surface detail is more subtle than a DS but still quite visible. Would be good to compare views.

A little bird did tell me about your purchase! I’ve looked through a single stack version which was amazing, DS should be even better obviously!

Fairly rare chance for me today as well.  In the clear patches the seeing has been quite good in Ha with the surface texture well defined.  First filaprom for a while too, was hoping to witness a prom lift off.  Still trying to get used to the tiny 50x image which is the most I can get with the 60mm scope and Baader zoom.   😀

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks Stu, there has been a lot of passing cloud here today and I wasn't going to bother with setting the Lunt up until I saw this thread.

Lovely views through the Lunt with the Maxbrights and BCO18 EP pair.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Ade

32 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

I’ve been watching this one too. Wasn’t going to bother lugging the big scope out until I saw this thread.

Glad that I did!

Paul

Good stuff gents, glad you got to see it. I often forgo Ha for white light as I find it frustrating if the conditions are not good enough. Today was great though, good surface detail and that lovely prom, other smaller ones too of course.

Hi Stu, lovely images.

I plan on getting a Astrozap Baader Solar Filter, and Baader Solar Continuum Filter for my 8se.

You probably have a dedicated solar scope. 

I know I will never see anything like your images, but I was wondering if H-Alpha filter would be any use for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Followed its development as a beautiful filaprom

I confess I had not noticed its ‘filaprominess’ (that’s a word, right? 🤣) until you mentioned it. Quite subtle with single stack but a small tweak of the etalon got me there. Really nice!

1 minute ago, Mick H said:

Hi Stu, lovely images.

I plan on getting a Astrozap Baader Solar Filter, and Baader Solar Continuum Filter for my 8se.

You probably have a dedicated solar scope. 

I know I will never see anything like your images, but I was wondering if H-Alpha filter would be any use for me.

A solar film filter is a great way to start Mick, and should give very good results with your scope and a Continuum filter. You will see good detail when we start to get more active regions coming through.

I’m afraid normal Ha filters are of no benefit for solar Ha viewing, the bandwidth is just too wide to show anything. You need minimum something like a PST40 or Lunt 35 as an entry point for this. Mr Drew built my 102mm PST mod and very nice it is too!

• Thanks 1