Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

this will work?

hello everyone!

i want to buy another deep cycle battery to my equipment . i want a battery that will be good to do a night of imaging at least 10 hours... the equipment that i have is:

1) mount eq6r pro -  DC11~16V 4A

2) asi zwo 071mc pro - 12V/3-5A and from their website in order to use the cooler i need 9-15V

i will buy the pocket powerbox advance - 12v-13.8/10amps (from my understanding)

3) two dew heaters the first is: 6 watts, 12v, 0.50 Amperage and the second: 9.6 watts, 12v, 0.80 Amperage

and i think for now thats it 

the dew heaters and the camera will go to the powerbox...

do you think that a 100ah lifepo4 battery will be good?

thank you very much!!

I was looking at a battery for my set up and I was looking at the 100/120 ah units ..these from what I have read will easily do the job ..though a little heavy 👍

Lithium batteries range from very dodgy devices best thought of as incendiary devices, through to properly built assemblies with the BMS mentioned by @johninderby as well as safety approvals.

You are looking at paying a few hundred ££ for 12V 100Ah in LiFePO4.
Do you have a particular manufacturer name in mind?

If we are going to help, it would be a good idea to post a link to the battery selling site. Or preferably the battery manufacturer's web site.

I don't see any approvals (CE, UN38, etc) on the image you have posted.

There are some really good batteries around - for example Tracer Power, PAG, etc.

There are some dangerous products around. Remember the exploding hoverboards a year or two back?

HTH, David.

20 minutes ago, hubble space telescope said:

what is it Tracer batteries? its a company for lifepo4 batteries? 

Manufacturer and supplier of very high quality batteries.. Not cheap but probably the best available.👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hubble space telescope said:

well i saw that my battery have BMS, charging controller without overheating and without any maintenance. its sound very safety battery :) also in our own astronomy club, they also recommended on this battery! :)

thank you for all your help and concerns i really appreciate it!!!!

If you have found a place to buy a good quality and affordable battery, then please share the information with other SGLers.

Sharing information and helping and helping others is what this site is about.

Edited by Carbon Brush

One thing to look out for is the style of the handle.  It's much easier to carry a battery with a single handle that runs the whole way along the long axis of the battery.  Avoid like the plague any that have 2 small handles that run at 90 degrees. With these you have to carry the battery in front of you - much slower and a strain on one's back.

You may also like to consider 2 smaller batteries. These are easier to carry one in each hand rather than a larger heavier one in just one hand.  Although it works out more expensive, it also means that if 1 fails you've got a reserve.  I learnt this the hard way long ago on my boat where safety is paramount!

the upside of the LiFePo ones Steve is that they're quite lightweight and nothing like the ancient lead-tech in weight or performance :) 

Just wish they were more affordable as I'd quite like to use those next time the UPS's need new batteries. Long-term they work out pretty much on par or slightly less, its just the big cost hit all at once (12 of them) and usually when funds are needed for something else...

23 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

the upside of the LiFePo ones Steve is that they're quite lightweight and nothing like the ancient lead-tech in weight or performance :) 

Just wish they were more affordable as I'd quite like to use those next time the UPS's need new batteries. Long-term they work out pretty much on par or slightly less, its just the big cost hit all at once (12 of them) and usually when funds are needed for something else...

Yes a 1:3 volume and weight improvement is quite something. Life expectancy is generally far better than lead acid.
Don't forget you can't just swap them for lead acid. The charge regime is very different.

HTH, David.

Yep, aware of that David, tho the LiFePo ones you pretty much can do a straight swap if you buy the right batteries and tweak the charging settings or mod the charging side to suit (non trivial), since the BMS should "manage" the way the individual cells get charged. Not saying you should tho, not without understanding the implications and fire risks. The other benefit in the APC UPS range is that a 24v 10AH LiFePo to replace a pair of 12v 17AH lead batteries will achieve the same run-time performance because of the way the output varies under load. Add to that far less duress compared to the lead battery meaning a much longer service life.

As said tho, not advocating this, anyone wanting to try it needs to do their research and due diligence and understand how their UPS works before taking the decision. As they say on the TV shows, "don't try this at home!" :)