Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Back into astrophotography after 7 years, need advice regarding camera.

Mik3

Hi all I'm just getting back into astrophotography after 7 years, its nice to be back :) I still have all my old gear: NEQ6, Skywatcher 200PDS, Skywatcher ED80 with reducer, guide scope and QHY5, various filters and a modded Canon 1000D. Anywho I've been catching up on whats changed over the past week and Ive seen these new dedicated cooled cmos cams at affordable prices, Ive got my eye on the QHY183C it seems like a good choice at £650, would this be a good choice or should I consider something else? even a DSLR Canon camera? I cant go any higher this is the most I can afford and I dont want mono as would need the filter wheel and filters, plus the extra setup time and potential problems. Also what do I need to connect this camera to my ED80 with a skywatcher reducer/flattener? 

Thank you for the help :)

Edited by Mik3

In my opinion the ASI533mc pro is a superior camera. For a couple hundred more. Of course the QHY183mc will be a better choice than a DSLR. However for me it's pixels are a little small for a OSC and so you may end up binning during processing to improve perceived noise. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

I found that I needed an extension tube when connecting a ZWO camera to my ED80 with reducer. I suspect that would be the case with the QHY also.

Peter

You will only need an extension tube if you are not using a flattener. 

On 29/04/2020 at 15:24, Adam J said:

In my opinion the ASI533mc pro is a superior camera. For a couple hundred more. Of course the QHY183mc will be a better choice than a DSLR. However for me it's pixels are a little small for a OSC and so you may end up binning during processing to improve perceived noise. 

I cant afford any more, I shouldn't really be spending this much. Do you know what adapter I need to connect it to the skywatcher reducer? 

On 29/04/2020 at 15:24, Adam J said:

I going to look on the 2nd hand market see if I can get something there, what other models should I look out for around the £600 range?

On 28/04/2020 at 23:22, Mik3 said:

Ive got my eye on the QHY183C it seems like a good choice at £650

May I ask where you’re looking at it for that price? I only ask because I have been waiting for over 40 days for the mono version to arrive from AliExpress (lesson learned here) and am probably going to have to raise a dispute. 

24 minutes ago, Wyvernp said:

May I ask where you’re looking at it for that price? I only ask because I have been waiting for over 40 days for the mono version to arrive from AliExpress (lesson learned here) and am probably going to have to raise a dispute. 

Its £566 at https://www.cyclopsoptics.com/cooled-camera/qhy183c/ 

Do you think its a good camera? 

Ahh my bad the one I’m expecting is the 163m not the 183. My understanding is that most of the why range are pretty good. The pixel size looks bang on for your ED80 according to astronomy.tools if your seeing is good. I have heard the drivers weren’t quite as good as zwo but I think that was maybe earlier on. 

not had any experience ordering from cyclops optics bit at a glance they seem reputable. 

Edited by Wyvernp

On 30/04/2020 at 23:40, Mik3 said:

I cant afford any more, I shouldn't really be spending this much. Do you know what adapter I need to connect it to the skywatcher reducer? 

I think you need to consider some factors,

1) We are going to loose astro darkens soon.

2) I would not recommend importing astronomy gear seen that trip too many people up, you will have no support.

3) If between now and Augast when it starts getting dark again you can get together another 200pounds and you get the ASI533mc pro you will be much happier down the line.

There have been many many times in astronomy when I have fallen into the trap of buy cheap buy twice.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 2

On 30/04/2020 at 23:40, Mik3 said:

I agree with Adam, above.

I have the ZWO ASI183MM Pro. If I do not match the DARKS correctly I can have a really good imaging session wasted due to Amp Glow. Push the stretch on the image too much and the Amp Glow shows through. These newer cameras with NO AMP GLOW will save you a lot of frustration in the long run. And as said, its the wrong time of year to be buying a camera. Save some more and by the end of July you may have enough to buy a camera with no AG :) And enjoy imaging without having that extra step of getting rid of AG to consider :)

Dave