Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Trails - Processed 4 ways - Thoughts please

I have discovered and collected, over the years, several different programs for making star trails. I decided to recombine my source images from the other night using 3 different pieces of software, and an extra time in one with some additional options checked. I'm interested in your thoughts. None of the results have had any additional processing in anyway after the 'stack' was completed (just converted to jpg and posted to flickr). My previous post had been tweaked by me.

1) Startrails.de, the original post.

49813604093_15f1a20ceb_b.jpg

2) StarStax

49814143376_b5e42e8dc1_b.jpg

3) Sequator

49814143016_a8c7bf75bd_b.jpg

4) Sequater, with the options for remove light polution and increase stars (not sure what that does, but I think it's probably a saturation boost)

49814143236_f9308735f1_b.jpg

I know which one I prefer and why... but please do let me know your thoughts on each.

• Like 3

Another vote for the fourth John. Lovely sight, but the four of them are superb.
Good job earth doesn't  rotate as fast as the illusion the image gives
We'd all be falling over giddy😀.
Any plans to do Lunar work?
Ron.

Edited by barkis

Thanks all, it seems we are all in agreement, and I'm going to use that process flow for the next one (if I remember).

Nothing up close and personal Ron, that needs power, and I'm struggling to get that sorted (need to go shopping and everywhere I'd need to visit is shut).

I've posted a few using my dSLR recently though (going to put another one up shortly)

A great timely post for me John....... I prefer number 4 too. I have a GoPro on order and startrails are something I'm going to try.... I have no idea what to do with regards to processing so I'll look at the software you suggested....... Any tips in general?

Good luck Sara. Never tried a GoPro though, so can't offer advice on that or processing it's output. With these, I just loaded the images into the various software, and apart from in the last one where I added the options for LP reduction and star  colour... clicked Go/Process/Start. A tweak or two in LR/PS is normally in order (although I did nothing with these, as this was about how the different software performed. Interestingly, and I've not tried it, Sequator appears to have some form of processing mode which will allow you to shoot tracked images with landscape, and keep the landscape still... whilst still stacking the stars correctly. Needs looking into I guess.

Let me adjust that slightly, having looked at sequator again... It's not stacking of tracked images... Per se... Stacking if static camera images MW for example but keeping any landscape unscathed by the star alignment process.