Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with SW AZ-EQ6 GT

Good day fellow members

I recently purchased a SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT mount from the UK. 

I am having tracking issues in the AZ Mode. I have updated the handset numerous times. I have completed a factory restore numerous times. I have ensured that the information (Lat/Long, date, time GMT and EST, elevation, etc.) is correct. The mount is pointing North (control panel side facing North and have tried facing it South as well), scope is leveled. Manually move mount to first alignment star (have tried using the handset to slew it as well). Center first star in FOV (mount does not track first alignment star). Select and slew mount to second star. Center star in FOV (mount does not track second star). Handset states alignment was successful. Slew to first selected object (Venus). Ensure that side-real rate is selected on handset. Mount does not track object.

I read in a discussion elsewhere that you could try to have the mount turned on, handset connected to mount, plug in the USB cable to handset and perform an update. Will this process damage the mount or handset in any way?

Issues in EQ Mode: Set up mount and scope to home position (mount and scope pointing north). Turn mount on. Perform Polar Alignment. Select 3 star alignment (to help eliminate cone error). Mount slews to first star. However, the scope is pointing towards the ground. Return the mount to Park/Home position. Turn off mount. Turn mount back on. Select 3 star alignment again. Mount slews to first star. Center star using handset. Perform the rest of the alignment. Handset states alignment was successful. However, accuracy isn't that good (most objects are within the FOV, far edge of FOV).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Pappy

I had some of this weirdness in EQ as well. Had no idea what it was doing so linked to computer and software leaving the handset completely out of the equation and it all seems to work well.

In EQ Mode, there's a procedure in the Synscan manual (p.37 - '11.3 Polar Alignment without Polar Scope') where having done an initial 2 or 3 star alignment, you can refine the alignment by pressing "Menu -> Alignment\Polar Alignment" & following the steps to adjust the Altitude & Azimuth bolts. That will get much more accurate alignment. I used to get errors of around 45 min initially, which would drop to about 10 min by this process.

I've also had similar problems where from the parked position, the first slew is 90 deg out.

Recently I've been using an iOptron iPolar to take the pain out out Polar Alignment & only keep the Synscan handset for visual use. As per @MarkAR I've not experienced any problems when controlling the mount direct from a PC.

Cheers
Ivor

1 hour ago, Pappy said:

Issues in EQ Mode: Set up mount and scope to home position (mount and scope pointing north). Turn mount on. Perform Polar Alignment. Select 3 star alignment (to help eliminate cone error). Mount slews to first star. However, the scope is pointing towards the ground. Return the mount to Park/Home position. Turn off mount. Turn mount back on. Select 3 star alignment again. Mount slews to first star. Center star using handset. Perform the rest of the alignment. Handset states alignment was successful. However, accuracy isn't that good (most objects are within the FOV, far edge of FOV).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Regards, Pappy

That pretty much echos my experience.  Using the handset (which I still do from time to time) the “return mount to home and switch off” becomes part of the alignment routine.  Can’t help you with the accuracy of pointing thing though. I often have to use the finder telescope to see the alignment star the telescope should be looking at.  Once set up though it’s ok for observing with and shortish exposures. Mainly though I use computer control and no handset for imaging. Fortunately those problems aren’t present under pc control. 

Interesting thread. I have this mount and it has proven extremely reliable and easy to live with. Just a couple of comments on your workflow. The control panel should be on the South side at initial alignment. Use the handset to do all the slewing. There is a step missing from your workflow which is to press enter after centreing the first star. After choosing the second star the mount should slew itself, manual slewing is not required. When the second star is centred press enter again when prompted. Hope this helps.

On 18/04/2020 at 12:17, MarkAR said:

I had some of this weirdness in EQ as well. Had no idea what it was doing so linked to computer and software leaving the handset completely out of the equation and it all seems to work well.

Good day Mark, thank you for your response. What computer software are you using?

Regards, Pappy

On 18/04/2020 at 12:40, Aramcheck said:

In EQ Mode, there's a procedure in the Synscan manual (p.37 - '11.3 Polar Alignment without Polar Scope') where having done an initial 2 or 3 star alignment, you can refine the alignment by pressing "Menu -> Alignment\Polar Alignment" & following the steps to adjust the Altitude & Azimuth bolts. That will get much more accurate alignment. I used to get errors of around 45 min initially, which would drop to about 10 min by this process.

I've also had similar problems where from the parked position, the first slew is 90 deg out.

Recently I've been using an iOptron iPolar to take the pain out out Polar Alignment & only keep the Synscan handset for visual use. As per @MarkAR I've not experienced any problems when controlling the mount direct from a PC.

Cheers
Ivor

Good day Aramcheck, thank you for your response. What computer software are you using?

Regards, Pappy

On 18/04/2020 at 13:21, Owmuchonomy said:

Interesting thread. I have this mount and it has proven extremely reliable and easy to live with. Just a couple of comments on your workflow. The control panel should be on the South side at initial alignment. Use the handset to do all the slewing. There is a step missing from your workflow which is to press enter after centreing the first star. After choosing the second star the mount should slew itself, manual slewing is not required. When the second star is centred press enter again when prompted. Hope this helps.

Good day Owmuchonomy, thank you for your response. I forgot to mention that I do press enter after centering the first (and second) alignment stars. I will try placing the control panel on the south side of the mount next time I have it out. I assume the scope is on the right side of the mount (when facing the mount). Do you point the scope at Polaris or level the scope?

Regards, Pappy

1 hour ago, Pappy said:

What computer software are you using?

I'm using Astro Photography Tool (APT) +  a version of Stellarium which supports ASCOM. I also have ASCOM/EQMOD installed & use an EQDIR cable to connect the laptop directly to the mount. I can use APT to help initially align & focus the scope, control the camera & move the mount.

It's still early days for me though & I'm just getting to grips with plate-solving images. (Haven't attempted guiding yet!)

Cheers
Ivor

2 hours ago, Pappy said:

Good day Owmuchonomy, thank you for your response. I forgot to mention that I do press enter after centering the first (and second) alignment stars. I will try placing the control panel on the south side of the mount next time I have it out. I assume the scope is on the right side of the mount (when facing the mount). Do you point the scope at Polaris or level the scope?

Regards, Pappy

Hi Pappy, your thread is about use of the mount in AZ mode so Polaris is irrelevant. Mount should be absolutely level and pointing due north. Use North level alignment and continue from there. Here is mine ready to start alignment.IMG_0507.JPG.74442f7e715729262756917769341bbf.JPG