Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

mishmash report

russ

This is a report taken from several small observing sessions since boxing day.

If you looked at Metcheck you'd be forgiven for thinking the South Coast was enjoying night after night of knockout clear skies. Dazzling stars everywhere. In theory i should be too knckered to stand from lack of sleep. But alas it's a Metcheck forecast and thus complete fiction bearing no relation to real life events. In reality it's been a highly annoying period. Boxing day was clear early on but turned a bit poo by late evening and the LP was awful. Saturday more of the same but a little bit more poo. And clouded over for a period. Then cleared. Then clouded over again. Last night started clear for a short period but then clouded over. Was technically clear this morning with a grand total of 6 stars + Saturn visible through the poo.

Used the 12.5 on Boxing day evening and early on it was a great sky. By 11pm things had turned really poo with half the sky blotted out with LP.

But i did manage some really nice views before things went poo.

M42 - stunning :) With the Ultrablock i was staggered by just how much of the nebula is visible. M42 is one of those objects that really does take on a new look in a large light bucket. You know exactly why you bought that big scope when you see M42.

M97/M108 - hehe how many times have i looked at these two over the last few months? Just love them to bits, such a contrasting pair. Ultrablock does wonders with M97.

M81/M82/NGC3077 - so tempted to get a 40mm SWA just so i can fit these three in the same field.

M109 - just don't remember it being so faint? Perhaps it was too low?

M51 - hmm this is going to be awesome when it climbs a bit. Already showing promise and it was skimming the horizon.

M101 - boy this was hard to spot. Again too low, shouldn't have bothered just yet.

M1 - Wanted to try the Ultrablock and see if i could see any filaments. Nice and easy to see but the filaments remained elusive.

NGC2392 (Eskimo Nebula) - Nice and easy to locate being not too far away from a nice double star. It's certainly one of those objects that responds very well to higher magnification. It's something of nothing at low power.

Sunday 28th December 2008

Just a quick tour with the 20x80's. I'm really getting used to these now. Still didn't bother with the tripod.

Auriga clusters - compared the 10x50 and 20x80. The 10x50 show a huge FOV (which is very nice) and the clusters show up as nice fuzzy patches. It's a very pleasing view.

With the 20x80's the FOV is much more restricted, which i guess is why some don't like giant bins. That and the weight. But the clusters take on a different form. They are much more interesting. Rather than just a fuzzy patch they are now sprinkling of individual stars. And two in the same field is a joy to see.

M42 - surprising amount of the nebula visible in the 20x80's. The Trapezium was a single blob but it was a great view.

M81/M82 - huge difference between the 10x50 and 20x80. Can just detect them in the 10x50 but in the 20x80 it's like a low power telescopic view. With proper shape to the galaxies.

Sky clouded over before i could do anymore. :p

Monday 29th December 2008

Was hoping to get the 20x80's out again for a chance to see M65/M66 but alas the sky was poo. Had a so so view of Saturn in the 12.5 instead.

The Ultrablock is a huge help for Nebulae. Really does brighten/enhance them significantly. M42 for instance takes on a look more like one of the images posted here but without the colour.

M76, M97, Eskimo all brighten up several fold.

But it's absolutely no help what so ever for galaxies. I find my Neodymium is a better help on that front. But that doesn't work for everyone due to different type street lamps.

Hope that helps Dan

Russ

What a great report, Russ,

You battled good with all that poo. Long after I would have phoned up the plumbers anyway.

Still haven't looked for NGC 3077, and haven't found M97/108 yet. This is why I love reading others' reports - gives me inspiration for next time I'm out.

Yet to be bowled over by a view of M42 with the 16". I really need to close off the tube with a shroud. I think stray light is causing a great lack of contrast.

Andrew

There was certainly a lot of poo about last weekend :) Couldn't move for the stuff.

Sounds like that light shroud is a must Andrew? Do you find dew a problem on the primary mirror without one?

I really need to take the Starfinder to pieces, clean the mirrors, centre spot the primary, flock the tube and put a small light scatter shield on the front. The next really bad (poo) period of weather we get, it will be priority number 1.

Great report, Russ. :thumbright: Glad you were able to see so much despite the conditions.

I saw 81/82/3077 in the same fov almost 2 years ago using the 22x100s and the view was absolutely stunning. 3077 wasn't seen directly, but it showed nicely with averted vision.

(Go on, get the 40mm SWA.. you know you want to. :) )

Many thanks for the encouragement Carol. I have a 30mm Aero ED on the way now to test out and may stay with it. I could then look to trade the 26mm Swan for a 38mm.

Also want to frame the Leo triplet :)

Nice drawing btw :p

Nice report again Russ

I'm very eager to get a 12" class scope now - and I'm working on it !.

Would a Nagler 31mm in a 1500mm FL scope be able to show M81/M82/NGC3077 in the same field I wonder ?

John

Archived