Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to Enter Coordinates into SynScan AZ GOTO Hand controller?

Hello. My brain is frazzled trying to understand this. My handset has a choice of E or W and its asking for longitude. Mine is 51.2949744, and my Latitude is -1.9736615. I am so confused as its asking for E or W then a 3 digit number followed by a 2 digit? I am a complete novice. Any help would be good 👍🏻

37 minutes ago, Deep_Space said:

Hello. My brain is frazzled trying to understand this. My handset has a choice of E or W and its asking for longitude. Mine is 51.2949744, and my Latitude is -1.9736615. I am so confused as its asking for E or W then a 3 digit number followed by a 2 digit? I am a complete novice. Any help would be good 👍🏻

try 51.17.41 -1.58,25 converted to degrees / minutes /seconds

Dave

3 hours ago, Deep_Space said:

I find this app really useful when using the syncscan handset - just feed the details (includes gps coordinates) straight from the app into the handset makes it really easy.  I think it is only available for android though .

Jim 

Syncsan App

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deep_Space said:

You have your latitude and longitude the wrong way round. Your longitude is approximately 001 59 W  and latitude 51 18 N. The numbers should be entered into the handset in that order and format. 

Latitude is a measure of how far north/south of the equator you are and longitude how far east/west of the meridian.

I wouldn't be without the indicated app above.  The important thing is also not to forget any leading zeros.  Enter the details INCLUDING the date and its presented format EXACTLY as the app gives it to you.  Dates are sort of the wrong way around to 'normal' with the SynScan if you live in the UK.

15 hours ago, Deep_Space said:

My handset has a choice of E or W and its asking for longitude. Mine is 51.2949744, and my Latitude is -1.9736615. I am so confused as its asking for E or W then a 3 digit number followed by a 2 digit.

The handset uses proper mapping units, degrees and minutes, not decimal units. The longitude component of the co-ordinate (how far E/W of Greenwich) will be an angle between 000degrees 00minutes E/W and 180d 00m, a minus value is west of the Greenwich Meridian. This is entered into the handset as nnn nn E/W. The latitude (how far N/S of the equator) is an angle between 00d 00m and 90d 00m, entered as nn nn N/S into the handset.   All the zeros need to entered into the handset. The latitude cannot be greater than 90 and longitude greater than 180 and the minutes part of the co-ordinate cannot be greater than 59. If you try to entered a bigger value the handset will not allow you to continue until the correct values are entered

• Like 1