Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

External focuser for EdgeHD 8

6 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

You would need to use the info John gave link to and work what you need and you need to work out your distance etc you don’t get a lot of focus travel using the SCT version Focusers as really they are for fine tuning you use the normal focuser for rough focus and fine tune with the SCT at back  

I absolutely get that was how its supposed to work and am quite happy with it. After replying, I went back and tried to decipher the document and from what I understood, I don't have much backfocus to incorporate the camera, fw and oag. 

If my suspicions are correct then Moonlite is the only available option then. 

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Yes you need to sit down with the Baader drawings and see if it all adds up. 

One reason I went with the Classical Cassegrain instead on an SCT is having a proper focuser instead of a moving primary. The Ergde HD is a very nice scope though. 👍🏻

I will get another set of eyes to look at what I'm reading but from initial thoughts, it might be out of the question :(

1 minute ago, garryblueboy said:

Also things to remember with the Moonlite you get the short knobs so the focuser doesn’t foul on them when turning etc that’s why it’s a bit more expensive

Got it. @SyedTmentioned him having issues with Moonlite version so I'm just waiting to see if it was the CHL version specifically for the EdgeHD 8" or just another one. 

There are lots of options to take it’s really down to how much needs adding and how much you want to spend I know many who use the Moonlite on the HD for imaging as I do for the Badder and feather touch the guy I got my C14 from imaged with it using a Pegasus for remote focuser no choice is wrong it’s what suits you best 

• Like 1

Motorised focuser is not the issue here because I already have the Lakeside which I will incorporate in to any of the options.

I really do not have a budget in mind but it does not have to be silly. Was hoping to find out what options do I have and if any of these options will suit my need for incorporating my gear. If it does then good, if not then I guess at the top end will be the Moonlite which I will really need to justify the spend but will have to end up spending it seems. 

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Feather Touch R&P would be great but the price with the SCT adapter is a bit scary. 🙀🙀🙀

http://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_99&product_id=61

Very scary John I seem to remember it may have been you I brought a Baader steel track from a while back 

7 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Very scary John I seem to remember it may have been you I brought a Baader steel track from a while back 

Come to think of it yes I think I did. FeatherTouch prices are just insane now. 🤪🤪🤪

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Yeah I'm really swaying towards baader but need to be sure of the available back focus on this bad boy. Got any experience with either of these specifically Moonlite with EdgeHD 8 or Baader Steeltrack on its own? 

Top man. You got any experience with the Baader by any chance mate? 

Too kind @SyedT. Really do appreciate your input and the detailed explanation. Obviously if you're rating the Essato high enough then it must be good but the most important thing you mentioned was the available BF which is 38mm. I've just calculated and without any spacers im at 38mm. Bummer! I've noticed tbsi trend with Primaluce Lab is that anything you buy for the gear is always an add-on and they charge you for it. Not cool!

You mentioned you had issues with Moonlite focuser, was this the CHL version that takes in the 0.7x Reducer? If so, I'd love to hear about that. Here or pm, I'll leave that to you buddy :)

I sure will matey, cheers for that. Moonlite is a serious second contender if Baader one doesn't pan right. I guess three things I'm trying to find out is that how much space will this Baader take so that I can calculate the availabile backfocus, secondly if anyone has any experience using Baader Steeltrack and how good are they? And lastly if there are any other options out there in terms of the focuser which I haven't though of?

From what I've read, the meade microfocuser is not compatible with EdgeHD 8" scope unless I've read it wrong mate. 

Agreed about the add-on trend, but I've become a fan due to the quality of their items. The Esatto was pretty much plug and play from the start and I've had zero issues with it.

With my FSQ85, the stock focuser was just rubbish and I tried a Lakeside motor with it. Every other time it would either slip or tilt, causing my image to shift significantly. Same issues with the Feathertouch. No matter how tight I made the system there was always image shift. I tried the Moonlite with the Edge HD 8, same issues with image shift/tilt. Since I've had the Esatto I've wasted no time with focusing at all, it just works away in the background. Zero image shift. I'm sure people are working successfully with the Feathertouch and Moonlite setups and maybe I just got unlucky, but I'll be sticking with the Esatto for now!

I'm not sure how much of a rush you are in to buy a focuser, but I can do some testing with the Esatto and 0.7x reducer at 135 mm spacing and let you know how it works out (although forecast is cloudy for the foreseeable future!).

Edited by SyedT
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SyedT said:

Agreed about the add-on trend, but I've become a fan due to the quality of their items. The Esatto was pretty much plug and play from the start and I've had zero issues with it.

With my FSQ85, the stock focuser was just rubbish and I tried a Lakeside motor with it. Every other time it would either slip or tilt, causing my image to shift significantly. Same issues with the Feathertouch. No matter how tight I made the system there was always image shift. I tried the Moonlite with the Edge HD 8, same issues with image shift/tilt. Since I've had the Esatto I've wasted no time with focusing at all, it just works away in the background. Zero image shift. I'm sure people are working successfully with the Feathertouch and Moonlite setups and maybe I just got unlucky, but I'll be sticking with the Esatto for now!

I'm not sure how much of a rush you are in to buy a focuser, but I can do some testing with the Esatto and 0.7x reducer at 135 mm spacing and let you know how it works out (although forecast is cloudy for the foreseeable future!).

You're too kind buddy and thank you for sharing your experience. The moonlite version, was it the CHL version? I'm in no rush but I'd most certainly want to be able to use my fw, TOAG and camera. 

What camera and kit are you using with Essato and what other kit did you use with moonlite? Like I said, whatever I need to choose needs to get all of this to be within the imaging train. 

17 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

You're too kind buddy and thank you for sharing your experience. The moonlite version, was it the CHL version? I'm in no rush but I'd most certainly want to be able to use my fw, TOAG and camera. 

What camera and kit are you using with Essato and what other kit did you use with moonlite? Like I said, whatever I need to choose needs to get all of this to be within the imaging train. 

No worries. It was the CHL version, yes. I have to stress that this is only my experience with these focusers, I'm sure others have had different results. 

With the Esatto, I have my Atik 490EX, Atik EFW2, Atik OAG, M54-M54 male-male adapter, F54-F56 adapter screwed directly into the focuser drawtube (it has M56 male threads). This is without the reducer in the train. With the reducer if things work out, I'll continue to use the OAG. If no luck I'll try a guidescope, as without the OAG I can get the spacing perfect.

With the Moonlite CHL I had a QHY163M, QHYCFW2, QHY OAG-M. This was attached to a nosepiece which was inserted into the drawtube.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SyedT said:

No worries. It was the CHL version, yes. I have to stress that this is only my experience with these focusers, I'm sure others have had different results. 

With the Esatto, I have my Atik 490EX, Atik EFW2, Atik OAG, M54-M54 male-male adapter, F54-F56 adapter screwed directly into the focuser drawtube (it has M56 male threads). This is without the reducer in the train. With the reducer if things work out, I'll continue to use the OAG. If no luck I'll try a guidescope, as without the OAG I can get the spacing perfect.

With the Moonlite CHL I had a QHY163M, QHYCFW2, QHY OAG-M. This was attached to a nosepiece which was inserted into the drawtube.

Awesome stuff bro. You're too kind. It looks like Moonlite might be a better option so far but Essato is just doing something I have not felt for a while (I mean a month lol) and it means serious money going out of my pocket :D

20 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Awesome stuff bro. You're too kind. It looks like Moonlite might be a better option so far but Essato is just doing something I have not felt for a while (I mean a month lol) and it means serious money going out of my pocket :D

I must sound like I'm being paid by Primaluce Lab to promote the Esatto, but it really has made imaging so much easier. I'm doubting whether the excess spacing with the OAG will result in any success to be honest, but summer is for experimenting!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SyedT said:

I must sound like I'm being paid by Primaluce Lab to promote the Esatto, but it really has made imaging so much easier. I'm doubting whether the excess spacing with the OAG will result in any success to be honest, but summer is for experimenting!

As long as you're able to get us the discount 😂 good man, just seen your image posted and it's really good. Can not wait for you to put Essato through its paces

32 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Quick question, just a thought, what's the reason (if any) can't you put the EdgeHD 0.7x reducer after the focuser? 

I asked Primaluce Lab this exact question, and the reply was "In the EdgeHD design, the reducer has to be threaded to the telescope back cell and the distance from the internal field flattener to the reducer has to be fixed."

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SyedT said:

I asked Primaluce Lab this exact question, and the reply was "In the EdgeHD design, the reducer has to be threaded to the telescope back cell and the distance from the internal field flattener to the reducer has to be fixed."

Perfecto, just wanted to check my sanity here. I do see usual redcuers after the focuser so thought if it had been thought/asked of. 

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Dunno about the Edge but I used the Meade one after the focuser, now using AP one that fits inside the focuser (see pic's)

Dave

Yeah I noticed that too hence why the question tbh.

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Perfecto, just wanted to check my sanity here. I do see usual redcuers after the focuser so thought if it had been thought/asked of. 

Yeah I noticed that too hence why the question tbh.

Not looking bad at all! Just some lines through stars at the bottom (from an overhead cable).

1462130004_M81_EdgeHDReducer.thumb.png.0f39026f0bf21293ee4190517fc0e62d.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SyedT said:

Not looking bad at all! Just some lines through stars at the bottom (from an overhead cable).

1462130004_M81_EdgeHDReducer.thumb.png.0f39026f0bf21293ee4190517fc0e62d.png

That's very well collimated and nice round stars. You using bobs knobs for collimation or the standard screws? 

9 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

That's very well collimated and nice round stars. You using bobs knobs for collimation or the standard screws? 

I initially did the collimation with the standard screws as I hadn't bought Bob's Knobs by that time. Since it held collimation so well, I've decided to leave things as they are despite having bought the knobs; if collimation goes off then I'll install them.

I'll see what the stacking is like, but these initial results with the 0.7x reducer are very promising despite the spacing discrepancy. At the moment my spacing is 135.2 mm vs a requirement of 106 mm (105 + 1/3 of my filter thickness which is 1 mm). I'm not sure whether the Esatto's thickness counts fully here, as the SCT adapter slots flush into the back of the focuser body, and the reducer screws fully into the adapter which may actually reduce the overall spacing. It certainly won't reduce spacing by 30 mm, but I wonder if this is a factor.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SyedT said:

I initially did the collimation with the standard screws as I hadn't bought Bob's Knobs by that time. Since it held collimation so well, I've decided to leave things as they are despite having bought the knobs; if collimation goes off then I'll install them.

I'll see what the stacking is like, but these initial results with the 0.7x reducer are very promising despite the spacing discrepancy. At the moment my spacing is 135.2 mm vs a requirement of 106 mm (105 + 1/3 of my filter thickness which is 1 mm). I'm not sure whether the Esatto's thickness counts fully here, as the SCT adapter slots flush into the back of the focuser body, and the reducer screws fully into the adapter which may actually reduce the overall spacing. It certainly won't reduce spacing by 30 mm, but I wonder if this is a factor.

Ah nice. Yeah I've heard that stock screws are better at holding collimation but bobs knobs are easier but requires frequent collimation. I might buy them too because they're only £20.

Yeah the numbers don't make sense but it must be doing something right otherwise you would see wonky stars around the edge of the fov. I wonder if Zoltan might be able to give us an input in that. Still £620 is a lot of money, so is £520 for the moonlite. Eek! 

10 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Ah nice. Yeah I've heard that stock screws are better at holding collimation but bobs knobs are easier but requires frequent collimation. I might buy them too because they're only £20.

Yeah the numbers don't make sense but it must be doing something right otherwise you would see wonky stars around the edge of the fov. I wonder if Zoltan might be able to give us an input in that. Still £620 is a lot of money, so is £520 for the moonlite. Eek! 

Considering the collimation is holding and will be better retained with the original screws, I might just return the Bob's Knobs to be honest.

Your account will take a hit either way, it's a shame the adapters cost extra. I didn't bother getting the M56 adapter for the camera side as I already had the F56-F54 adapter lying around, which helped to bring costs down. Anyway, I've done my job by making the choice even more difficult for you, so good luck! :D