Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet ATLAS and a spot of mathematics...

Comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) is on its way towards the Sun, reaching perihelion at the end of May. It’s fairly dim at the moment, around mag +7 or so, but will hopefully brighten over the coming weeks. This time lapse was taken on the night of 4th April 2020 over about two hours, using a Celestron EdgeHD 8” scope with a QSI camera. It consists of 33 frames of 240s each.

ATLAS-TL-2-3.thumb.gif.3a26df8cf9c17c4afdf7c1ff7c40247f.gif

Seeing as we all have a bit of time on our hands, here’s a challenge for you:

Use the following data to calculate the speed that Comet ATLAS is travelling towards the Sun.

First Observation:
Time: 21:01:35 UTC
Pixel Position: (1747, 882)
Distance from Earth: 1.032550 AU

Last Observation
Time: 23:19:03
Pixel Position: (1665, 1297)
Distance from Earth: 1.032245 AU

Image scale: 0.524 “/px
1 AU = 1.496 x 10^8 km

Good luck!

Stay safe folks.

• Like 13

I LOVE this Gav!  I might give something similar a go tonight if it stays clear (although the Moon isn't going to help!)

We're thinking of including an animation exercise in the educational materials we're putting together - I'm sure kids would be wowed if they could produce something like this 🙂 

Helen

PS I've got some FT data on Y4 available too if you want a look https://observe.lco.global/requestgroups/967863/ (I need to find time to do some analysis 👀)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Use the following data to calculate the speed that Comet ATLAS is travelling towards the Sun.

Just to be absolutely clear, do you want the actual radial velocity (comet>Sun) or the orbital velocity along that segment of orbit?

• Like 1

Still go for it, it won't have disappeared and information is even more important.  The orbit is a bit off from the forecasts, so check you've got it. www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=13620

Helen

PS I'm miffed as I have  a run on FT for 7 nights: 4 ok, but missed last night when it was interesting- D'oh!!

18 minutes ago, Helen said:

Still go for it, it won't have disappeared

Yes, not yet.

Depending on how (much) it may be breaking up, if new material is exposed could even be good news ?

(I think we xed in the post just now while answering KevS :) )

Edited by Corncrake

52 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Just to be absolutely clear, do you want the actual radial velocity (comet>Sun) or the orbital velocity along that segment of orbit?

It’s speed on its orbit during this time. As much as it is possible to estimate it with the data given. 

• Like 1

Just now, PhotoGav said:

It’s speed on its orbit during this time. As much as it is possible to estimate it with the data given. 

To be honest I aint got a clue on either just that the radial velocity will always be less than orbital velocity and will actually be zero at perihelion right when orbital velocity is at maximum.

There, do I get a lolly for trying? :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul M said:

To be honest I aint got a clue on either just that the radial velocity will always be less than orbital velocity and will actually be zero at perihelion right when orbital velocity is at maximum.

There, do I get a lolly for trying? :) 

Definitely, in fact, I reckon you deserve a whole pack of Jaffa Cakes!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Helen said:

I LOVE this Gav!  I might give something similar a go tonight if it stays clear (although the Moon isn't going to help!)

We're thinking of including an animation exercise in the educational materials we're putting together - I'm sure kids would be wowed if they could produce something like this 🙂 

Helen

PS I've got some FT data on Y4 available too if you want a look https://observe.lco.global/requestgroups/967863/ (I need to find time to do some analysis 👀)

Thanks Helen. I’ll have a look at your FT data. It’s not tooooo tricky to put a time lapse together. Takes a few bits of software though - align all the frames, bit of a stretch, crop to size and then string together as an animated gif. Is that within the educational target audience’s grasp? I’m interested to know how you would approach this. 

5 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Hi Gav..  great video and idea..  imitation being the sincerest form of flattery I’ve just started on it myself! 

Dave

Thank you. I’m flattered! Good luck. It will be interesting to see if it has changed at all. I was looking forwards to watching this comet develop over the coming weeks, so it would be a real shame if it disintegrates.

• Like 1