NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

To buy, to build or to not bother?

ShrewView

21 hours ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Mostly agreed with the points on here. I converted a small shed to an obsy and it's been brilliant for making sure I get out there if the weather's ok. It's especially good when the forecast is a bit dodgy but the sky looks ok- I just get on with it which I probably wouldn't if I thought it was unlikely to last. I've had several good sessions that I would otherwise have missed. 

I did buy a cheap shed off the internet and it's mostly ok after 2 winters- I bought from Tiger sheds- you can tell it's built to a price but so long as I maintain it I'm not worried about how long it's going to last. Where I definitely agree with the other posters is on size- I fitted a 5x7 into the space I had and even though it's imaging only I wish I'd gone bigger. Otherwise no regrets.

This is also an excuse to link to the time lapse I did of the build 😁

This is just brilliant.

If it had been in black and white the music at the start reminded me of Harold Lloyd or something similar. 

• Like 2

Many great ideas here! However, I notice that some of them lack a pillar for the mount, so I just would like to add that before you put up a shed with floor, you should seriously consider having a pier inside or at least make a rather deep concrete foundation in the centre to which you could attach a pillar. To do that after the shed is built would be very cumbersome or impossible. A heavy (>300 kg) and deep (about 60 cm) pillar foundation means that you never (almost) have to worry about polar alignment.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

Thanks Goran.

Yes I'm thinking at the moment of a starting with a separate foundation for the pier and then building around it might be best. I was out last night under the moonlight working out the best spot. Double checking to make sure no house or street lights could get to where I intend to site it. Bet the neighbours will think I'm nuts wandering around in the dark, especially staring at the moon! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShrewView said:

Thanks Goran.

Yes I'm thinking at the moment of a starting with a separate foundation for the pier and then building around it might be best. I was out last night under the moonlight working out the best spot. Double checking to make sure no house or street lights could get to where I intend to site it. Bet the neighbours will think I'm nuts wandering around in the dark, especially staring at the moon! 🙂

That is the way to do it! And, when you have your pier you can allways build a shed around it, but it is more or less impossible to do it the other way around. And, as you say, it should be a separate foundation - you should be able to dance around it without seeing any effect on the guiding curve:blob1:

Edited by gorann
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ShrewView said:

Bet the neighbours will think I'm nuts wandering around in the dark, especially staring at the moon! 🙂

I bet they do already, who sits in the garden at night?

🤪😂😂 us lot.

• Like 3

I can't imagine setting up and down again the same night, I did do it right at the beginning but soon started to think about a permanent set up.  I do set up when I go to astro camps, but the rig stays up for several nights in a row, and I have to re-set up in the obsy when I get back home during the day time.  Having a permanent set up is the only practical way to go.  

Just find something that works for you and practice at the location you plan to use to make sure you are happy with it.

Carole  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carastro said:

I can't imagine setting up and down again the same night, I did do it right at the beginning but soon started to think about a permanent set up.  I do set up when I go to astro camps, but the rig stays up for several nights in a row, and I have to re-set up in the obsy when I get back home during the day time.  Having a permanent set up is the only practical way to go.  

Just find something that works for you and practice at the location you plan to use to make sure you are happy with it.

Carole  

I have a 3 night rule , only setting up if confirmed at least 3 nights imaging , so if first night is a washout then you have 2 othe niights to get something.

Roger

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

I have a 3 night rule , only setting up if confirmed at least 3 nights imaging , so if first night is a washout then you have 2 othe niights to get something.

Roger

I guess with our weather that makes it a little tricky? Not often we get three in a row.

I think the attraction of being able to pop the roof off an obsy and take advantage of an unexpected clear spell is one of the things pulling me in that direction. That and the time saved setting up and putting away. I usually end up with a dining room full of scopes, eyepieces and other clutter to pack away the following day after a night observing. At least I can move that mess up the garden if I do this. 😀