NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M16 HaSHO

Rodd

Another cracker from you there Rodd, must seriously consider one of these scope you have sometime in the future, just ordered a 85mm Stella Mira from Flo, so that will no doubt come with more clouds, weather has been very unfair of late here.

Alan

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

Another cracker from you there Rodd, must seriously consider one of these scope you have sometime in the future, just ordered a 85mm Stella Mira from Flo, so that will no doubt come with more clouds, weather has been very unfair of late here.

Alan

Thanks Alan.  New scopes attract the weather spirits for sure. It will give you a lot of time to admire your new toy!

On 04/04/2020 at 10:32, alan potts said:

Alan

Ill be interested in a review when you get some use out of the 85.

7 hours ago, Adam J said:

Ill be interested in a review when you get some use out of the 85.

It goes without saying I will give it going over. I use to write a lot of reviews for visual work and eyepieces but I don't consider myself good enough to be too serious with the dark art to voice an opinion too loudly. I will write a review on the scope and post some scope and AP pictures with it, i may also do a little visual observing with it too as I have quality eyepieces and can at least see how it performs on CA and other aberrations, Venus being very good for this, i feel it is going to be a decent scope.

We have had clear skies all week but with a very large Moon, never good for AP, weather looks set fair at the moment, I am expecting the scope in the next few days, so snow rain and wall to wall cloud is only to be expected.

Alan

15 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely. And what a result from 130mm aperture! OK, they're good millimeters but even so...

😁lly

Thanks Olly.  I am beginning to think the "book" has to be revised.  Gary Imm and Goren just posted images on Astrobin taken at 2800 mm and 3550 mm focal lengths  (F10) receptively (Celestron and Meade), one shooting at a pixel scale nearing planetary territory, and one using a DSLR....using 5 and 6 hours of data!  I feel the world tipping.........

Rodd 

1 minute ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Olly.  I am beginning to think the "book" has to be revised.  Gary Imm and Goren just posted images on Astrobin taken at 2800 mm and 3550 mm focal lengths  (F10) receptively (Celestron and Meade), one shooting at a pixel scale nearing planetary territory, and one using a DSLR....using 5 and 6 hours of data!  I feel the world tipping.........

Rodd 

That is a stunning rendition of the Pillars Rodd!

And thanks for the nice comment on my 3550 mm images (even if you misspelled my name 😉)

6 hours ago, alan potts said:

It goes without saying I will give it going over. I use to write a lot of reviews for visual work and eyepieces but I don't consider myself good enough to be too serious with the dark art to voice an opinion too loudly. I will write a review on the scope and post some scope and AP pictures with it, i may also do a little visual observing with it too as I have quality eyepieces and can at least see how it performs on CA and other aberrations, Venus being very good for this, i feel it is going to be a decent scope.

We have had clear skies all week but with a very large Moon, never good for AP, weather looks set fair at the moment, I am expecting the scope in the next few days, so snow rain and wall to wall cloud is only to be expected.

Alan

I haven't looked through an eyepiece is so long.  If it were easier to switch out I would do more visual....The problem for me is I can't ever really see much in my sky.  I could never find M51 even.  Never could see the veil.  I got the ring, though, and M27--the very bright things.  My crowning achievement was Neptune in my Meade 14" (long sold to support my imaging disease)

7 minutes ago, gorann said:

(even if you misspelled my name 😉)

Again!!!  Sorry

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I haven't looked through an eyepiece is so long.  If it were easier to switch out I would do more visual....The problem for me is I can't ever really see much in my sky.  I could never find M51 even.  Never could see the veil.  I got the ring, though, and M27--the very bright things.  My crowning achievement was Neptune in my Meade 14" (long sold to support my imaging disease)

Again!!!  Sorry

I have a 12 inch Meade LX 200 that never gets used along with a 18 inch Dob, and others, it seems once imaging takes over all else goes out the window. I did in fairness when i started out set the Canon clicking away and use the Dob but my prostate problems stopped me staying out in the cold. Now I have had that put right and all is well, I should really try and start back again, I have very dark skies and can see a lot of faint stuff, the only annoying thing is the Moon.

Alan

13 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I have a 12 inch Meade LX 200 that never gets used along with a 18 inch Dob, and others, it seems once imaging takes over all else goes out the window. I did in fairness when i started out set the Canon clicking away and use the Dob but my prostate problems stopped me staying out in the cold. Now I have had that put right and all is well, I should really try and start back again, I have very dark skies and can see a lot of faint stuff, the only annoying thing is the Moon.

Alan

Glad you are well again.  Its easy to forget that that is the most important thing.  The Moon is a blessing and a curse.  yes its terrible for deep sky imaging--but it is loads of fun to image in its own right.  The images of the lunar surface that are possible during really good seeing are amazing.  And light pollution is irrelevant due to the Moons brightness.   That 18" Dob would yield spectacular images of the Moon!

14 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Glad you are well again.  Its easy to forget that that is the most important thing.  The Moon is a blessing and a curse.  yes its terrible for deep sky imaging--but it is loads of fun to image in its own right.  The images of the lunar surface that are possible during really good seeing are amazing.  And light pollution is irrelevant due to the Moons brightness.   That 18" Dob would yield spectacular images of the Moon!

Maybe I will give it a try, I only have OSC's but I imagine they would do. I have only just sort of got the idea of deep sky imaging the Moon is a different technique as far a s I know. I have seen pictures on here where 100's of images are taken, I only have a USB 2 laptop and the image from both the 183mc and the 071 take a little while, sadly exposure time has no effect on file size. Worth a play though some time in the future.

Alan

8 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Maybe I will give it a try, I only have OSC's but I imagine they would do. I have only just sort of got the idea of deep sky imaging the Moon is a different technique as far a s I know. I have seen pictures on here where 100's of images are taken, I only have a USB 2 laptop and the image from both the 183mc and the 071 take a little while, sadly exposure time has no effect on file size. Worth a play though some time in the future.

Alan

A lunar camera can be had for a couple hundred.  USB2 will work for the Moon.  My USB 3 was operating a USB 2 speeds and it was no problem--planets might be a different story.  You do need to use a planet cam though-able to shoot 40-50 fps-they shoot videos and you make an AVI.  At USB 2 I was getting 30 FPS.  Not ideal for lucky imaging but it worked.  Registax will turn the avi into an image.  You capture 3 minutes of 30 fps and you take the best 10%--so I used about 600 frames out of 6,000.  I love imaging the Moon.  Like anything else though, upper margin results require a huge dedication, great seeing, and perseverance.  With your sky....I think there will be an uptick in the sales of space suites once you get going!

Planets are much more difficult because you need to derotate if you shoot longer than 90 sec or so.  I never learned Winjupos.  I used OSCs for planets (can't wrap my head around shooting RGB the derotating the channels separately.  The Moon can be shot through 1 filter as its pretty much gray--unless you want to produce a colored version that is an extreme exaggeration of the rock colors.  Moist awesome close ups of the Moon are gray.

Rodd

• Like 1

I'm liking the less bright full image more than the brighter cropped image. It's not so much the brightness but the high contrast across the cropped area that makes it difficult for me to see on a screen. I did have a quick play with the jpg to test this and I definitely found a lower contrast (and less bright) image easier to look at. That said, the contrast/brightness does clearly show the quality of the data and brings detail into focus that you just would not find in a lesser image!

12 minutes ago, Rodd said:

A lunar camera can be had for a couple hundred.  USB2 will work for the Moon.  My USB 3 was operating a USB 2 speeds and it was no problem--planets might be a different story.  You do need to use a planet cam though-able to shoot 40-50 fps-they shoot videos and you make an AVI.  At USB 2 I was getting 30 FPS.  Not ideal for lucky imaging but it worked.  Registax will turn the avi into an image.  You capture 3 minutes of 30 fps and you take the best 10%--so I used about 600 frames out of 6,000.  I love imaging the Moon.  Like anything else though, upper margin results require a huge dedication, great seeing, and perseverance.  With your sky....I think there will be an uptick in the sales of space suites once you get going!

Planets are much more difficult because you need to derotate if you shoot longer than 90 sec or so.  I never learned Winjupos.  I used OSCs for planets (can't wrap my head around shooting RGB the derotating the channels separately.  The Moon can be shot through 1 filter as its pretty much gray--unless you want to produce a colored version that is an extreme exaggeration of the rock colors.  Moist awesome close ups of the Moon are gray.

Rodd

I love the way you are derailing your own thread Rodd! So I help you derail it even more: There is also a comet up there now that I have seen people imaging with good results with the moon out - some really nice gif-animations of it here on SGL and Astrobin. I am almost tempted to give it a try since I never tried comet-imaging before.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Filroden said:

I'm liking the less bright full image more than the brighter cropped image. It's not so much the brightness but the high contrast across the cropped area that makes it difficult for me to see on a screen. I did have a quick play with the jpg to test this and I definitely found a lower contrast (and less bright) image easier to look at. That said, the contrast/brightness does clearly show the quality of the data and brings detail into focus that you just would not find in a lesser image!

Thanks Ken--I have four screens I use to look at images and they all look different.  Not only that, the different forums look different on the same screen. I settled on what looks best overall on my main screen.  I have many versions where I changed something--but I found that it created imbalances elsewhere in the image that I did not like.  that's because its a JPEG and the original data is lost.  I really wish I could star again.  

1 hour ago, gorann said:

I love the way you are derailing your own thread Rodd! So I help you derail it even more: There is also a comet up there now that I have seen people imaging with good results with the moon out - some really nice gif-animations of it here on SGL and Astrobin. I am almost tempted to give it a try since I never tried comet-imaging before.

I am sure you will do a good job, don't know how we got on to moon, I think it was via different scopes I have that do very little now.

Alan