A wide look at the Needle Galaxy

Allinthehead

Hi all. Managed to grab this last week when i had a ridiculous 5 nights in a row, which coincided with the start of the lockdown here in Ireland. Missed the first of them due to illness but took advantage of the rest. It really was a very welcome distraction from the obvious. I hope everyone is safe and well.

Ngc 4565 is an edge on spiral galaxy in Coma Berenices. At only 40 million light years from Earth and being about 1/3 larger than our Milky Way makes this a popular galaxy to image and observe. It's long been a favorite of mine along with the Sombrero due to that edge on view, similar to the view we have into the core of our galaxy.

Captured with my Asi 2600mc through an Esprit 100 mounted on an Az Eq6

180 second subs by 176. 8.8hrs

Processed in PI, PS and APP

Best wishes to everyone

Richard.

2083103521_NeedleFinal.thumb.jpg.860684f05b949ae90e7b99d0336d68cf.jpg

• Like 23

14 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Superb Richard, glad you are getting some good nights.  New camera easy enough to use?

Thanks Adam. New camera has been great apart from my inability to take proper flats. Not sure why yet as I'm doing the same things with this as i did with my 071.

• Like 1

Very nice Richard, still planning on getting that camera for the Sharpstar, just had a new boiler fitted in new position which made a big hole in my bank balance so put plans back a bit 😂

Dave

28 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Very nice Richard, still planning on getting that camera for the Sharpstar, just had a new boiler fitted in new position which made a big hole in my bank balance so put plans back a bit 😂

Dave

Thanks Dave. Not cheap I'll bet. I think you'll enjoy the 2600, it's been flawless so far apart from my flats issue. Cooling is great and no sign of dew issues, zero amp glow evident.

Simply wonderful Richard. Love the way the galaxy shines out in that lovely inky black background. Slightly darker sky backgrounds work well in galaxy images i find, and this is a perfect example. 

When i tried this last year, i found the 80ED struggled with quite a lot of the stars. No such trouble with the Esprit i see, especially so in your hands. 

Glad to see the Esprit working well for you. 

14 hours ago, Xiga said:

Simply wonderful Richard. Love the way the galaxy shines out in that lovely inky black background. Slightly darker sky backgrounds work well in galaxy images i find, and this is a perfect example. 

When i tried this last year, i found the 80ED struggled with quite a lot of the stars. No such trouble with the Esprit i see, especially so in your hands. 

Glad to see the Esprit working well for you. 

Thanks Ciarán, i agree a dark background works well for galaxies, not too dark however. I just lower the white point instead of the black point. The Esprit is a fabulous scope for the money.