NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back-into-the-Groove Session 27th Mar 20

After a few clear nights with only the time to take out binoculars, Friday night beckoned clear and it was time to dust off the SW 12" newt on my AZ-EQ6. Much of the early part was spent re-remembering the routine so it took longer than it should have done to get properly set up. I had a quick pre-dinner start-from-estimated-park-position look at the Moon through the 35m Panoptic which was just the right size for the field of view. Stunning crescent, and amazingly clear earthshine. So much so that I dragged my wife out to have a look "Oh My God!" was the gratifying response. The best whole-view of the Moon I've had.

I used only the 35mm Panoptic (43x 1.6degs) and the 18.2 DeLite (82x 0.75degs) and briefly the Delos 6mm (250x) for Polaris and Algieba.

After dinner after aligning on Arcturus and Pollux, I wanted to concentrate on Auriga, having spied through the bins on earlier evenings the diffuse patches that were M36, M37 and M38. These three open clusters were very satisfying at wide-field 43x, and I recall one having a redder star than the rest of the cluster in its exact centre. I can't recall which though. I moved between these three for a while.

I wanted a look at Castor (82x) which always pleases, and moved on to Polaris and its baby, which was bluer than yellow Polaris A by a greater margin than I'm used to. I star-tested on Polaris but it was getting rather windy so didn't get much joy there.

By now, nearly midnight, I was getting cold in an increasingly strong and cold NE wind, and I wanted to at least get a galaxy or two in before packing up. I chose M86 and was rewarded with the triangle of M86, M84 and NGC 4388 in the same field of view through the DeLite at 82x. I couldn't spend much time on them, the scope was shaking around so I called it a night.

It was a lovely clear night reaching SQM-L 21.85 by midnight. The main point was to get back into the groove of what to keep where to be able to deploy with minimum fuss next time. I have a replacement secondary from Hubble Optics 70mm (vs the OEM 66mm (I think) one) to fit later this weekend, so it was good to get to use the original on a clear night to see if I can tell any difference. I ordered the replacement secondary in early November to be sure of receiving it in time for Christmas. It eventually arrived at the end of February!

All in all, a decent night's appetite-whetting and some tinkering in prospect...

Cheers, Magnus

5A1442BB-ED46-4356-B5BD-88AF86F536F7.jpeg

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 9

Lovely stuff Magnus. Sounds like an amazing sky!

M37 is the one with the red star in the centre, very noticeable when you view it.

The Moon was certainly stunning last night. Cloudy here tonight unfortunately for the conjunction with Venus.

DC0FF166-286F-4CBD-A368-B4977EEDD048.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Lovely stuff Magnus. Sounds like an amazing sky!

M37 is the one with the red star in the centre, very noticeable when you view it.

The Moon was certainly stunning last night. Cloudy here tonight unfortunately for the conjunction with Venus.

DC0FF166-286F-4CBD-A368-B4977EEDD048.png

Yes that’s just it! Brilliant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ciaran Meier said:

Just checked my obs to do  list and next to the M86 entry I've made a note on "Markarians Chain"  Is this it ?

Yep, brightest galaxy in the chain I think.

8543758B-0A05-4D72-83E7-304B60595FEC.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

The M86 chain under dark sky has got to be one of the finest sights in the sky. Very jealous. But I enjoyed the writeup. 😁

Thanks for posting

Paul

Yes I can't wait to get out again. I just want this vicious NE wind to die down!