Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ GTi wifi- counterbalance

adamer

Hi . I've just bought  this mount  as traveler. One of the scope  which will  travel with me  is Vixen  Shuttle Scope 100S. Very  lightweight, so no issue here.  Other one will be  reflector  Mac Cassegrain 127mm which  with  2"accessories is around 5kg.

Did anyone use this mount with heavy  scope and use counterweight? 

Counterweight will reduce forces on the gears and should prolonged life of the mount.

I'm thinking about  24-25 rod and 1-1,5 kg weight . Do you think that  this will  be  sufficient? 

SW  is claiming  max load for 5kg, but  I belief that's  apply  if you  hang  weigh on one side.  If you  balance it  properly it should handle  more or at least give some relief to the gears. 

I don't think that would work for an AZ GTi at all, it's more for an AZ3. An AZ GTi needs a straight bar with a weight on the end, just like counterweights for an EQ mount 

A much better and cheaper option is an EQ1 counterweight bar and weight, correct thread to fit in the AZGTi. Astroboot have them sometimes, though their shipping costs are now pretty high.

1 hour ago, Ags said:

I don't think that would work for an AZ GTi at all, it's more for an AZ3. An AZ GTi needs a straight bar with a weight on the end, just like counterweights for an EQ mount 

Straight bar is what I'm going for. I've bought already  24cm lonng M12 bolt.

Question is how much should I hang on it ?

17 hours ago, johninderby said:

I keep looking  at this  adapter and start like  it 😉

Forces  are  spread  nice  and maybe  I  could  use it for binocular  as well. 

Just a price ;-(   If I have a chance to  get second hand one I will go for it.

At the moment  I've  hang  1,8 counterweight on the bar and works fine. 

12 hours ago, Stu said:

A much better and cheaper option is an EQ1 counterweight bar and weight, correct thread to fit in the AZGTi. Astroboot have them sometimes, though their shipping costs are now pretty high.

+1 this combo. What I use.