Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light iPhone Moon

Hi all, found a fairly brief opportunity to get my scope out for the first time. Managed a few shots through the eyepiece before the clouds rolled in again. Had to do a little tweaking in Photos.

IMG_1096.jpeg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Excellent first shot Mark, good focus and exposure. Which scope do you have?

That was with my nearly new Altair Wave 115EDT.

31 minutes ago, Ciaran Meier said:

Hi Mark,  that's a really nice shot and the colour is striking.  What smartphone adapter are you using?  

I think the yellow is sunlight reflection, had to darken the image a fair bit to really make it pop. Just used my iPhone X handheld.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

That was with my nearly new Altair Wave 115EDT.

Nice scope.

You do have a bit of a hotspot in the middle, which may be to do with the distance you were holding the phone from the eyepiece ie how it was positioned relative to the exit pupil. Should be able to get rid of that with some experimenting.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice scope.

You do have a bit of a hotspot in the middle, which may be to do with the distance you were holding the phone from the eyepiece ie how it was positioned relative to the exit pupil. Should be able to get rid of that with some experimenting.

Tried experimenting a little on the basics on a couple of other shots and it just looked horrendous.

There was a lot of glow last night and the moon seemed extremely bright.

Thank you all for the likes and comments, just need to get more clear skies and practice.

The 115edt came with an Altair 80mm guidescope, just been trying to figure out why I couldn't get it focussed. Just figured out that it was set up for theGP3CAM guider.

Dismantled that set up and fixed the diagonal directly to the scopes rotating ring and hey presto, should be able to do a proper alignment next time.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Leeroy said:

If you get a phone holder you should try to do a panorama shot. You need the phone orientated to the drift of the moon for success.🤓

Not something I really intend to do, once I practice a bit visually I want to set up my DSLR on the scope and also the SX 694 etc. But until then will just take a few potshots with my phone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...