Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus with Fullerscope

CraigT82

First attempt for me with my new Baader UV filter.  Not much detail but pretty happy with it. 

Conditions were awful! Fast moving clouds, wind, even rained on me at one point!  The Fullerscope 1.7m plastic tube really does not like the wind. Check out the image 'wobble'! 

8.75" newt with gpcam3 290 mono. Baader UV and 685nm IR filters. 10k frame with each (wanted more but conditions stopped play). Green made from other 2 channels.

1584046934951_Venus-UV(G)IR-1500(10000).png

• Like 10

That's crazy Craig, no idea how you got anything with that amount of wobbling! Presumably it calmed down every now and then?

I had the same issues last night whilst observing with my 8" f8 dob!

Excellent image under any circumstances, let alone windy ones! 👍👍

1 hour ago, Stu said:

That's crazy Craig, no idea how you got anything with that amount of wobbling! Presumably it calmed down every now and then?

I had the same issues last night whilst observing with my 8" f8 dob!

Excellent image under any circumstances, let alone windy ones! 👍👍

Thanks Stu! Yes I had to just hit the pause button when it was bouncing around, and then record when it settled down. Same for the scudding cloud too. Took ages to get 10k frames! 

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Amazing! What causes the change in colour in Venus' atmosphere? 

Thanks! To be honest I'm not sure what causes the change in colour, different cloud composition I expect. I know that the sulfuric acid in clouds are highly reflective but not sure in which wavelength.   I've read that the UV filter looks at the clouds very tops and the IR filter penetrates to deeper cloud layers.

I must do some more research! 

• Like 2