Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Witch Head Nebula (I think), but what else??

Hello again all!
I hope the 1 or 2 nights of clear sky are spurring you on? To which end I was out last night trying to get at the Witch Head Nebula, but something has gone wrong.
The attached file has been stretched somewhat to try and show the problem better, but I hope you can see that the Witch Head Nebula is in there to the middle bottom.
Taken with an unmodified Canon 600D at ISO 1600. Total of 55min (5 mins subs) with darks/flats/bias into Deep Sky Stacker.

There were at times thin high cloud (subs look fine though), but this looks to be more a thermal noise type thing - but this is why I ask - I just don't know.

Thanks in advance and .... clear skies ....

MJ

IC2118.jpg

Agreed you have the Witch Head Nebula (your image superimposed on the WWT map below).

Does the pink band show up on any subs?  It looks like what I get when my neighbour's garden flood lights kick in unexpectedly.  It could also come from a problem calibration frame, try stacking without any and see if it's still there?

1230558177_witcheshead.jpg.9accf995141bacd8a3ac3484fd6355d3.jpg 

• Like 1

Difficult to say in that case as it should have been calibrated out in DSS. It has the appearance of what one would see sometimes on a single sub but again DSS would get rid of that one frame.

As you say you will recheck the subs - hope it shows something up that you may have missed first time around.

53 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Difficult to say in that case as it should have been calibrated out in DSS. It has the appearance of what one would see sometimes on a single sub but again DSS would get rid of that one frame.

As you say you will recheck the subs - hope it shows something up that you may have missed first time around.

Here's hoping Terry. Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)
Matthew

Edited by rockinrome
Sp3lling

I have just had a huge *AH AH* moment ..... how about this ......

I use a Mac book air with the lit-up logo (hold-on ..... wait for it .......) and I also have it in a hard case which gets it to about 50% illumination - however ....... almcl's orientation of the image is spot on for how I had my camera - which was at this point upside down. Now I reckon' that even with the supplied Canon view finder cover I am getting light in through that from the logo light - I mean it was 5 minutes worth.
May be the line is an artefact of the reflection from the view finder?? (That's a proper guess though!!)
Does this seem good enough reason.....??

MJ

Could be. The viewfinder cover normally works well but the Mac logo light may be sneaking in. I’m sure that can be turned off with the brightness key that controls the brightness of the keyboard.

6 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Could be. The viewfinder cover normally works well but the Mac logo light may be sneaking in. I’m sure that can be turned off with the brightness key that controls the brightness of the keyboard.

Thanks Terry - I will deffo be turning that off!!

Matthew

Just tried turning off the apple logo on my macbook and it actually is the same backlight as the display. Tinternet advises putting a sticker over the logo. Newer MacBooks don’t have the illuminated logo to make the lid thinner.

It only goes off when you repeatedly press F1 to dim the display untilthe display goes black :(

roll of gaffer tape needed

Edited by TerryMcK

On 04/03/2020 at 21:02, rockinrome said:

To varying degrees, every sub has the same problem.

It's also good practice to cover up the camera's viewfinder as light can get in there too.  I used black insulation tape which did the job.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...